Thread: Incomplete fermentation

Default Incomplete fermentation

I started a batch of mead on 11/13/16 with the following:

18 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
    Lalvin D-47 Yeast
    Water to fill 5 gallons
    OG: 1.122

I added yeast nutrient at pitching then each day for the next 3 days (not sure what nutrient or how much, just the amount that came in the kit). Fermentation temperature stayed at around 60-64 degrees F for about 6 weeks and it was fermenting VERY slow. So I warned it up to upper 60s and it fermented for another 2-3 weeks and stopped. I let it set until 2/25 where I racked to secondary. At the time I racked, SG was 1.041.

I just checked it today and SG is still 1.041. According to the instructions in the kit, FG should be 1.020-1.022. So, I suppose fermentation never completed.

At this point, is it a good idea to try to pitch more yeast to finish fermentation? I do plan to take a ph reading first to make sure there aren't any issues there that need corrected. Also, if I do pitch more yeast, should I rack it again first, pitch with it sitting on it's current layer of sediment?

On a side note, I did taste it and the taste and aroma are just fine. There aren't any off flavors or scents.

tell us whcuih nutrient, how much, staggered nutrient addition?

My Social Networking

Add X-tian on Facebook
    Visit X-tian's Youtube Channel

Default Incomplete fermentation

In regards to pH...my experience is (thanks to Loveofrose, aka: denardbrewing.com) that you always add 1/4 teaspoon of potassium carbonate per gallon as a pH buffer and you should never have to worry about the pH dropping too low. Added benefit is it helps your yeasties convert alcohol better. Pitch it and forget about pH, unless you have added acid to your must (NEVER DO).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    …fermentation and plant use – as medicine, as psychotropics, as teachers, as companions on our life path – are an inescapable part of our exploration of what it means to be human; that, in fact, our humanness (as we now understand it) could not have occurred without the gift of fermentation or plants.
    ~ Stephen Harrod Buhner

Your pH may be why is stalled. If that's the case, once you raise it the ferment should start back up.

You didn't speak about how you rehydrated your yeast. That is very important and you can get off to a bad start before you even pitch if you don't do it correctly.

Tell us what you did.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Should you restart the ferment or not? Thats easy. Do you like the results? If so, there is no need. Of course you can do it. But if you are happy with were this took you, dont change it.
    Be careful though. You should put it for a day or two.in a hot place to see of the ferment restarts alone. You dont want bottle.bombs later.

And it´s still cloudy ? With few or no cake in the bottom ?

If so, it will take lots of time to clear if ever...

I´m stubborn , but I like things to go where they should go... it may be a pH issue or lack of nutrientes...