Thread: A yeast/nutrient question I posted in another thread, but without a answer...

Default A yeast/nutrient question I posted in another thread, but without a answer...

This in regards to a batch of traditional that I made using a book recipe, and my main question is if Fermaid O and/or K1v yeast produces a cloudier result than Fermaid K and/or 71b yeast?
    It has been a bit over 6 weeks on this batch and it seems cloudier than my previous try.
    The SG is at 1.004 with a very small about of fermentation still going on
    I was wondering if the Fermaid O or Lalvin K1V Yeast make a cloudier batch that Fermaid K and 71B?
    It is not a worry because I will cold crash it in another week or two.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Hi Wayne!

I don't think either of those yeasts are especially cloudy. Although I don't have a lot of experience with 71B I know K1V has never been hard to clear. Is that 6 weeks you refer to in primary? 1.004 is pretty much done in my book and I would take it off the lees into a secondary by now. Just the motion of racking will get you more flocculation because the agitation causes the particles to bang together and stick! (If you had been with us on Gotmead LIVE! Tuesday you would know that ) Anyway, once you cold crash, you should get more to come out of suspension.

If it's being stubborn, hit it with the Super Kleer two-step and prepare to be amazed. You can find super kleer at any of the online retailers.

As far as Fermaid O being something that makes mead cloudy, I can tell you 100% not in my house! I use it exclusively. No problems with meads dropping crystal clear.

Thanks,
    It has been racked one time, and maybe it is my impatience, but it seems that this batch is a bit slower at clearing than the previous batch with the other yeast and nutrient .
    Again, not a worry, just an observation from a scientist, and looking for a reason
    I prefer not to use chemical for clearing. Since it is a gallon batch it will be easy to cold crash it when it is time, and rack it again.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
    Thanks,
    It has been racked one time, and maybe it is my impatience, but it seems that this batch is a bit slower at clearing than the previous batch with the other yeast and nutrient .
    Again, not a worry, just an observation from a scientist, and looking for a reason
    I prefer not to use chemical for clearing. Since it is a gallon batch it will be easy to cold crash it when it is time, and rack it again.
    6 weeks is not very long. Make sure it does not have gas. When you rack, you put the yeast back into suspension. So it has to settle again. That usually takes around 4 weeks to totally settle (depends on a lot of factors of course, the main one being flocculation). You probably wont need to use chemicals, nor cold crash

If you wait long enough, most meads will clear naturally.

Thanks,
    I am sure it will, I was curious if the K1V yeast or organic nutrient takes longer to clear.
    I can always run it through the filter if it stays this way for another month.

Did you add any more honey? Or stabilize? Both of those will sometimes cause the Mead to get cloudy again. It looks like it would be too early for either of those though.
    You can always cold crash at around 32-34 degrees F for a week or so then rack again.
    Meadmaker since 2016

My methods are more purist, other than spices, nothing added after fermentation.
    Being a one gallon batch, I can fit that in a fridge for a cold crash, I will save that for just before bottling.
    If it was a larger batch, cold crashing is a winter thing here.