• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead went water-clear after fortification

Barrel Char Wood Products

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I've been working on a program that calculates the approximate amount of booze to add to a mead to fortify the ABV to a desired level. Basically, if you start at 14.4% natural ABV but want 17%, the program works out how much booze to add for your batch size, right down to 1/4 tsps. I made an overly-sweet batch of 14.4% orange blossom a few months back; the ferment stalled for some reason near the end and it stopped at 1.030 instead of being a high-gravity mead like I wanted. I racked it into secondary, added some oak, and set it aside because life happened and I got busy.

Last week I added 1/2 cup of 190-proof grain alcohol to raise it to slightly over 17% (I ended up with about 0.9 gallons). This mead had been cloudy and had refused to clear much since I racked it about two months ago, but I noticed that it somehow went water clear a few days after I fortified it. Anybody else ever had this happen? Does raising the ABV promote clarification (due to liquid density changes) or is something else at work here?

Last edited:

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Don't know. But what does it taste like? Is it good? Did the color change? Did you rack it off the lees that dropped out? Tell us more! And what was the 190 proof booze you used? Everclear?

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
I've observed that there are many things that help clear a mead. its really weird. one of my last batches was a capiscumel. when i added the peppers, it started to sediment all the things in suspension like a fining agent (albeit a slow one). I dont know how the abv could make that change but perhaps its the concentration or the SG. when the SG is lowered it might cause for things to precipitate faster. Other choice is concentration. The haze is usually proteins from the honey, the volume increase might have promoted the clarification. same way sometimes i have backsweetened to make a sweet mead, and it ends up cloudy, but when i backsweeten to under 1.010 i usually dont get haze.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I mixed two meads together a while back that had been cloudy for a while and they cleard fairly well after I combined them

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Don't know. But what does it taste like? Is it good? Did the color change? Did you rack it off the lees that dropped out? Tell us more! And what was the 190 proof booze you used? Everclear?

I just pulled a small sample for a taste. It's very good, basically a sweet high-gravity dessert mead (almost like a liqueur but not quite that strong). My sample was room temperature, but this would be better slightly chilled. Lots of orange blossom taste and aroma coming through. I used Clear spring 190 because it was cheaper than Everclear (and at 95% ABV it's pretty much all the same). That booze has integrated into the mead well. You can taste the alcohol in this, but it's not hot (no fusels) or too boozy.

I plan to rack off the sediment before I bottle, though I'll give the oak a bit more time to work. No real color change. There's some oak essense coming through up front but not quite enough yet to suit me (the finish is still too sweet). All the yeast is gone, that sediment is mostly proteins from the honey that were suspended when I racked it out of primary.

Last edited:

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Just to add some info. Adding high proof alcohol may have helped clear the mead because it finished off any remaining living yeast.

In making Madeira wine, I read that the addition of "neutral grape spirit" which is a high proof product distilled as high as 190 proof, is added to the wine to stop the fermentation (among other reasons) at a certIn sweetness.

Maybe there was some of this going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns