• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How much Yeast

Barrel Char Wood Products

andee5460

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2017
Finished a batch of 12% which turned out good. Of course will only get better with age.
My question is I'm making another batch with the following specs using the batch calculator. How many yeast packets or does it matter. The 5 gal batch I did i used 2 packets.
6 gal
10 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
yeast - Lalvin 71b-1122
Target ABV is 8% ( The wife enjoys the lower ABV)

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
For dry yeast (I think) the standard answer is 2 grams per gallon. Most yeast packets have around 5 grams. So, for a 6 gallon batch, that would be 12 grams, which means you would need to add 2.5 packs. But why save 1/2 of a pack? So, I'd probably either pitch all 3 packs or would just go with 2 packs. Dry yeast is cheap.....

How are you rehydrating your yeast?

Are you using nutrients?

Daily stirrings?

Temperature control?

dave

andee5460

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2017
yes i am rehydrating the yeast
adding 2 tsp yeast nutrient and 1 tsp yeast energizer
I did not do any stirrings in my last batch, Should I as the complete meadmaker book doesn't mention any stirring.
Temp 68 -72 degrees

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
yes i am rehydrating the yeast
adding 2 tsp yeast nutrient and 1 tsp yeast energizer
I did not do any stirrings in my last batch, Should I as the complete meadmaker book doesn't mention any stirring.
Temp 68 -72 degrees

Read the newbee guide and get aquainted with SNA (staggered nutrient additions). We dont use energizer and nutrient like that anymore even if the book recommend it, we add the nutrient at different stages of the fermentation. Try getting a better brand of nutrients that has all the yeast needs itself such as Fermaid O or Fermaid K for better results. Also you should aerete the first 2 days and degass the rest until the ferment is over. Read some posts from new people who posted the recipe and our advice to them, the same probably aplies to you.
if you can get temps a bit lower, better (62-68? 15-20ºC)
The rehydration is good. 3 packs (assuming 5 grams) of yeast will do if rehydrated correctly.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns