• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Temperature swings

Barrel Char Wood Products

Suited Deuce

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 20, 2017
I know what temp I'm supposed to be at. Problem is, I can't get there consistently, so I'm at where I can be consistently, which lead me to thinking about temperature swings.

I know what's best as far as yeasts (lower side of the temp range, consistency is best), but how much of a temperature swing is too much? What's the damage for swinging a little every day, or even at all?

-the Deuce

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Liquid has big termic inertia, so usually it will take a lot of time for the temp to change if for example you move mead from a 25ºC room to a 20ºC room. Not a lot to worry about. But you'll probably get more consitent and reproducable results when there are little or no temp swings. And if there are temp swing better not have them constantly (every day).

If you have problems having temps control just take neutral fermenting strains. There are a bunch of those. You can also try strains that do well at high temps but the ones that are not neutral are usually high ester producers and they'll be great if you like the flavour they add. Give them a try too and you might find some that you like. Overall the most common hot fermenting strains are EC-1118 (neutral) and K1V (produces lots of esters always). I've also used SN9 (fairly neutral) succesfully over 25ºC. Mangrove Jack French Saisson also is used for high temps and produces lots of esters. Maybe some others know about other yeasts.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
One thing to keep in mind. Is a larger body of liquid takes longer to result in a temperature swing in a small amount of liquid. What I'm trying to say is if you make a 5-gallon batch it will move back and forth with the swing much slower than 1 gallon batch. Not that in mind you can take it three gallon Carboy place it in a bathtub and fill the bathtub with 25 gallons of water and now you're have 28 gallons worth of volume that will respond to temperature swings even much slower than a 5-gallon container.

So what I'm trying to do here, is to give you an idea how to minimize your temperature swings regardless of the size of vessel that your fermenting.

Lastly. There's quite a few different used to make outstanding Mead that do well in warmer temperatures. If you go to the Scott Labs handbooks you can look those up in then get back to us if you think you'll find something you like and we can tell you more about it.

As much as it's a great idea to keep your temperature swings to very minimum. And maintain those temperatures at the very bottom of the spectrum listed in the book. The Most important portion of time in your fermentation is during the growth phase. So now as you can see if you can do well to maintain constant temperatures for for 5 days. That will for the most part will get you out of the woods.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I recently tested Red Star Montrachet at the mid-to-upper 70s (typical air conditioner ranges) and it came out perfectly. Just feed it heavily.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns