• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Batch has Gone Awry! (User Error Confirmed) Any way to Fix?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Windiyen

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hi everyone,

So I decided to try brewing some mead and my first batch took off like a rocket. I used three pounds of honey in a one gallon carboy. My starting gravity was 1.092. Yeast: Lalvin 71B-1122

After about 11 days, the airlock was bubbling about once every 30 seconds or so so I checked the gravity and it had dropped to 1.000. I had heard that you have to age mead for quite a while before it is drinkable (taste-wise anyways) so I wanted to cheat that a little and decided to rack it over some raspberries for about a month before bottling. To do this, I first (probably my biggest mistake) crushed up a campden tablet and added it to my mead to kill of the fermentation. I waited about 14 hours and racked it onto a pound and a half of raspberries in a 2 gallon bucket, applied an air lock and waited.

I had read/been told to periodically check the taste so I would know when to rack back into a carboy off the fruit for aging so I opened my bucket 2 days later and was hit by a small wave of sulfur stench. My first thought was to panic that the fruit may be rotting. Upon some googling it sounds like I stressed my yeast by adding that campden tablet too early which didn't kill off my yeast completely. So the sulfurous smell is coming from the stressed yeast.

I had read that to combat this I can add some energizer and nutrient to feed my yeast and remove the stress. I did this about a day ago but my airlock still appears to be dead and no longer blowing off CO2. So my question is whether I should add some more yeast now or wait a day or two to see if fermentation kicks back up before adding yeast again? The mead is currently probably at about 10% alcohol content so I'm not sure how well freshly hydrated yeast will do. Any advice is much appreciated, I'm a bit unsure of how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any support!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns