FerndalePalooza!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carboy Caps vs Rubber Bung/Stopper?

Watch the Meadolgy series, by the Canadian Sasquatch, on YouTube. Also, watch his videos on the BOMM and making a blood orange Melomel.

Quote Originally Posted by max.barbarian View Post
    True enough, it was the first batch I tried using the No Heat method so I probably managed to mess that up somehow.
    I don't know what went wrong with your batch, but just out of curiosity can you describe the off flavor? I know almost every one on here say never heat, but I just get an musty funk every time I try, So I tried another home brewers mead and theirs had that same funk. I don't know what it is, but I went back to heating. May be just lazy, but I am happy with my mead, so that's all that really matters.

Sorry about reviving an old thread I was doing a search and got caught up didn't look at the dates

Quote Originally Posted by bathtub brewer View Post
    I don't know what went wrong with your batch, but just out of curiosity can you describe the off flavor? I know almost every one on here say never heat, but I just get an musty funk every time I try, So I tried another home brewers mead and theirs had that same funk. I don't know what it is, but I went back to heating. May be just lazy, but I am happy with my mead, so that's all that really matters.
    My off-flavor was a lack of honey taste and a super-alcoholy taste to it. I used EC-1118 I think, so that tend to ferment quick/vigorously in my experience and has a high ABV tolerance. Since I've posted I've tried more of it, and the alcohol flavor has mellowed out a fair amount. Seems like aging/patience is your best friend with mead, letting flavors develop and others subside with time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12