Thread: 8-29-17 Ryan Carlson - Oaking Your Mead

Default 8-29-17 Ryan Carlson - Oaking Your Mead

8-29-17 Tonight we're talking with Ryan Carlson (known as Squatchy on the Gotmead Forums). Ryan has been making mead for quite a while now. And along the way, he's learned quite a bit as well. And one of the things he's been talking about a lot lately is oaking mead. Oak in mead can add a ton of complexity and depth, and the methods, time and type of oak make a difference. [ 338 more words ]

http://gotmead.com/blog/gotmead-live...n-oaking-mead/
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

Hope you're feeling better Vicky!

Great job last night Squatchy! A lot of great information. I guess I'm going to have to finally break down and read your "Wood Management" post! :-)

I think I got the last question in, which was "where does a relatively new mead maker start", without getting lost in the all the information? Maybe you could repeat it here, for others?

I look forward to the coming weeks.

Thanks.

dave

So at the most basic levels. Lower toast are sweeter and will mostly add vanilla, caramel, and perceived sweetness. It will also add some creamy mouthfeel.This is a great place to start.

American Oak in medium or light will do this nicely. It will also add more nose than the others. If you want to add a lot of complexity and spicey type flavors, go to french, med or med+.

Hungarian does a lot with the tactile piece, grip, backbone, astringency. Higher level hungarian will add leather, cigar box and pepper notes.

Hope that helps
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Great informative show Ryan! I learned a ton and now am headin out to replace my chips with spirals or cubes. :-)

-Ron

Quote Originally Posted by NightWolf View Post
    Great informative show Ryan! I learned a ton and now am headin out to replace my chips with spirals or cubes. :-)

-Ron
    Hi Ron. I'm glad you enjoyed the show. And I'm also glad to hear that you're taking my advice and getting rid of those crappy chips. I know without a doubt you will enjoy the spirals and cubes a million times over the chips.

Hey Ryan! Glad you were able to do that segment, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but am looking forward to it. Regarding Hungarian oak, have you found a place online that sells Hungarian oak staves? Morewine sells Hungarian cubes (inferior to staves in my opinion) and there are tons of places that sell Hungarian barrels (which I have not started to use yet), but no staves/segments.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HeidrunsGift View Post
    Hey Ryan! Glad you were able to do that segment, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but am looking forward to it. Regarding Hungarian oak, have you found a place online that sells Hungarian oak staves? Morewine sells Hungarian cubes (inferior to staves in my opinion) and there are tons of places that sell Hungarian barrels (which I have not started to use yet), but no staves/segments.

When I have some time (soon, I hope) I will try to find some. I don't have a source right now

Quote Originally Posted by HeidrunsGift View Post

Here ya go Charlie,, http://www.stavin.com/dosage-rates