• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

beer and wine nutrients

Barrel Char Wood Products

Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2017
hello dear mead makers and lovers

I accidentally bought beer nutrients at a beer homebrewshop
The seller claimed that it was Wyeast nutrients repacked

I know the nutrients must have DAP for mead

Today, I noticed that my beer nutrients do not contain DAP
at least it's not on the label

Also today I heard on youtube on a series of "Ask the Mead Maker" this owner who has a Meadery says there is no difference between the Wyeast Beer Nutrient and the Wyeast Wine Nutrient because all nutrients are the same

I have also read on a forum that another person experiences the same as I do now
Somebody else responded with the same problem
and that person had contacted WYeast, on which WYeast replied: "It is the same product with the same usage instructions for either wine or beer."
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=622567

but when you go to the Wyeast website it looks like there are 3 types of nutrient
https://wyeastlab.com/wyeast-nutrient-blend
https://wyeastlab.com/wyeast-nutrient-mead-he
https://wyeastlab.com/wyeast-nutrient-wine-he

notice how the last 2 links have the same name but the text on the page is different

Somewhere I've read that it's all advertising and all nutrients are the same

i can only say as a beginner i'm totally confused

I hope my "beer nutrient"
Also contain dap so i can start on my second batch

can someone help me out?
I'm sorry for my bad english and grammer
I'm from belgium

Thank you in advance for the people who want to help me with this problem
Toasty

Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2017
extra info: i did not use those beer nutrients Yet
my first batch was a JOAM

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi Toasty and welome. I Don't pretend to be an expert but I don't think that nutrients MUST contain DAP . Nor do I think that wine or mead yeast MUST have DAP. What the yeast need is nitrogen among many other chemicals and DAP provides such nitrogen but today's nutrients contain organic nitrogen from sources other than urea (DAP) that yeast can very easily assimilate. So, for example, Fermaid O does not include DAP and you are in fact advised against adding DAP if you apply Fermaid O.
I tend to use beer or wine nutrient manufactured by Wyeast...I don't add DAP and have not ever had any problem.

Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2017
thank you very much for you reply bernard
i cant remember where i got the idea from mead NEEDED dap

atleast im a bit reliefd now cause the available nutrient's you can buy here is diffrent from other country's for some reason
i dont know why wyeast is not allowed to sell here and they have to repackage it

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
DAP used to be the best way for home wine makers to get nitrogen to the yeast. But today, DAP is going the way of the Model Ford T. If you have one I am sure that it will take you from point A to point B but It's not the best way to get you from one city to another...8)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns