Thread: can i use stabelized juice ?

1. Default can i use stabelized juice ?

hello it is possible to use fruit juice with stabilizer according to what is on the label
    or is this in no way possible?

I think I've ever heard that your metabisulfite can be stirred out by aerating it
    or is stabilizer not only metabisulfite?

There are several concentrates and juices that I would like to use in the future, which unfortunately have stabilizer

thanks in advance

Its not impossible, but its also not advised. It will definitely make your yeast's job harder. I would advise that if you decide to do this, make a starter and slowly add some of the juice to it over a few days.

I'm not sure I've ever seen sulfites in store juices, but you do want to avoid sorbates which are widely used.

Better yet, its not too difficult to find fruit juices with "no preservatives". I strictly use those and check the back labels to avoid issues.

I've never seen anything on a juice label that says it's a stabilizer, but preservatives like potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate should be avoided at all costs.
    Dave from New Haven County

Hi Toasty, I'm not a chemist - and so I may be wrong - but I believe that sorbates bind to the yeast so they are not going to evaporate off. What you might be able to do - and as Maylar and Dingurth suggest, it's best to avoid rather than overcome the problem - is add such a large yeast colony that there is a sufficiently large enough colony that is present AFTER every molecule of the sorbate has found a yeast cell to bind itself too. Not sure how many packs of yeast that that might take.. 5? 10? 20? but you may be spending more time and money on neutralizing the sorbate than any wine you make from that juice would be worth...

5. Default

ok i understand

as far as i have noticed they only put on the labels in belgium
    stabelized
    Pasteurized
    100% pure
    or what i find the worst NONE of those
    no preserving info

i also have my eyes on a very strong concentrate i want to use
    its very very smal but very potent
    its like a few drops for a glass
    (also "stabelized")
    could i get away whit it using this one ? since the portion is so smal ? or maybe adding after fermentation ?

We typically use potassium sorbate to stabilize finished brews to prevent further fermentation after sweetening. Some juice makers will use that as a preservative, and trying to ferment that is a bad idea. Even if you're successful at overcoming the chemicals with overpitching the result always tastes like crap,
    Dave from New Haven County

7. Default

Hmmm.
    I started fermenting some store bought mango juice last winter... It cleared nicely, down to the bottom third which always stayed cloudy/full of pulp.
    Since one gallon looked so good, I bought more, but a different brand.

Noticed after that it had preservatives in it!! It was so sparsely bubbling.

I read that some of the preservatives would boil off, so I took the whole must and boiled it (it had only been fermenting for a week max, this batch).

I let it go for awhile just to be sure, then waited, added fresh yeast (from a ginger bug/barm I believe - resilient stuff). I don't recall it getting that ferocious, but it did ferment dry! I eventually added a couple more batches to get it up to a full 6 gallon, and it's dry, but has a bit of a sweet taste! Reminds me a little of a Chardonnay actually!
    I've had others taste it and enjoy it too.
    That's my story...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk