Thread: yeast settlement

1. Default yeast settlement

my first attempt at brewing mead, i have 3 4L jugs i'm using.

i'm a bit worried that i may have done something wrong, 1 of 3 bottles seems to be doing well. however 2/3 has a fair amount of yeast build up on the bottom already on day 2. Is this normal or do i need to take action right away.

sediment not settlement

Quote Originally Posted by garrett.evertson View Post

i'm a bit worried that i may have done something wrong, 1 of 3 bottles seems to be doing well. however 2/3 has a fair amount of yeast build up on the bottom already on day 2. Is this normal or do i need to take action right away.

sediment not settlement
    Hi there, welcome to the Forum.
    It will be very hard to know if you did anything wrong without knowing what you did.
    Please describe for us here in as much details as possible all the steps you have taken so far. Knowing what honey you used, ingredients of your must, Specific Gravity and your intended result would be very helpful. What makes you think is is yeast settling on the bottom of your fermenters? If you have them installed - do you see any activity in your airlocks?

Quote Originally Posted by garrett.evertson View Post

sediment not settlement
    Besides what Crispy has asked:

What yeast did you use?

Nutrients?

Daily stirring/degassing? I'm guessing not, as "fair amount of yeast build up on the bottom", which wouldn't happen if you were stirring.

There's a link to the "NewBee Guide" at the top of the webpage. You should spend some time reading it. Also, go to youtube and find the 9 week Meadology series, by the Canadian Sasquatch.

dave

One of the first things you need to do is stir that back up in suspension every day for the entire time you have fermentation going on.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

5. Default

Thanks for your replies, here are more details.

I have 1 4L jug with 1.5kg of Wild Flower honey, mixed honey with water on a low heat for easier pouring. I then filled my 4L jug 3/4full (with water and honey) shook and pitched yeist. filled the remaining space with water leaving 2inches of room.
    No nutrients used. this was done 09/19/2017.

Also have another 4L 1kg Orange blossom. same steps, except i did not shake again after yeast was added and i filled the bottle with water, causing foam. i then shook once filled 2 inches from top. no nutrients

my 3rd jug again is 4L 1.5 Kg of Clover Honey. same process as orange blossom. possibly over heated yeast during pre blooming.

I have not added any nutrients or anything other than the honey and water to any of my musts, i'm having leese build up on both my orange blossom and clover honey with little fermentation going on. the wild flower is vigorously going and the air lock has a sweet smell to it along with the yeast smell.

This is day three and i am considering Racking my Clover and Orange blossom and added more yeast and a fresh lemon (juice) as nutrient. I'm going very basic this time to see how things go as i am 6a perfectionist and i do not want to over complicate things on my first batch.

My plan is to add Orange to the orange blossom honey on second fermentation, and maybe clove to the wild flower or cinnamon sticks in the next few days. and then leave the clover as a neutral base mead for something to gauge off of.

6. Default

i clicked post quick reply and lost my message, time to start over.

Thanks for your replies, here are more details.

I didn't use any additives like nutrients at all in any of my 3 musts.

1) 4L 1.5kg wild flower honey. heated at low temperature with water for easier funneling. added to my jug (4L) and fill 3/4th full of water, shook. pitched yeast, shook, and then topped off and shook again. I plan on adding clove or cinnamon soon
    Bubbling a lot, very little if no leese at the bottom.

2) 4L 1kg orange blossom heated at low temperature with water, added to jug, filled 3/4th full shook, pitched yeast, filled jug (mistake) and then shook. leaving a foamy film around my jugs neck. I plan on adding oranges during second fermentation.
    lots of leese build up, very little bubbling

3) 4L 1.5kg Clover honey heated at a low temperature with water, added to jug, filled 3/4ths shook, added water, shook, dumped some water and honey due to forgetting to leave enough room for pitching yeast. may have over heated my yeast as well. same process shook and capped with air locks.
    lots of leese build up, little to no bubbling

I was thinking of racking my orange and clover and pitching more yeast and adding fresh lemon juice as nutrient. i'm not smelling any sort of sulfur smells coming from my air locks or inside the bottles. i don't plan on complicating my first attempt as i am a perfectionist and may overwhelm myself.

You mention stirring during fermentation which i read no where or seen from any videos, i also read i should do my best to let your mead just ferment. i'll keep reading more and more, i hope i gave enough details.