• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Big book of mead recipes, question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Yenren

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2015
I was looking through the above book, and noticed that the yeast used seems to be preforming differently from batch to batch, I know that this can be the case but there seems to be large discrepancies for example k1v 1116 is used for all the traditional meads at the start of the book ranging from a 12%dry to 16%sack I am wondering how this is possible if k1v 1116 will go to 18% and there is no mentioning of back sweetening. What am I missing here?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Most any yeast can be made a low, medium or high ABV producer depending on how much honey you start with. Of course none can go on forever. So you add as much sugars as you want to hit an ABV. once it zeros out you stabilize it. And now you can add as much or as little honey/juices ect as you want to get your finished profile.

You can have any ABV at dry, off dry, semi, sweet, desert sweet depending on how much sugars you add after you stabilize. Sack is a reference to the ABV level @ 16% or above ABV

Yenren

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2015
That's my point. The recipes add all the honey up front, with no mention of back sweetening!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
He likely does it the way I do. It's based on the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.

I know my yeast will eat through 120 points and quit. If I want it dry, I use <120 points of honey. Off dry, 130 points. Sweet, 140 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
It's not perfect, but it works well enough. Sometimes yeast can put on super suits.

Yenren

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2015
Yes but, 18% is a normal day at the office for k1v 1116, so I don't understand how he is getting a 14% with an fg of 1.015 without back sweetening, oh LoR you might want check your relationship with 1388, sounds like you are getting a bit possessive ;)

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Yes but, 18% is a normal day at the office for k1v 1116, so I don't understand how he is getting a 14% with an fg of 1.015 without back sweetening, oh LoR you might want check your relationship with 1388, sounds like you are getting a bit possessive ;)

I don't know then. Shoot him an email or on GotMead Facebook.

As long as she treats me right, I may be a bit possessive. Haha.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver

How do you know he is not back sweetening. It can't work both ways. He's got to be back sweetening. Or lying LOL

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns