Thread: Big book of mead recipes, question

1. Default Big book of mead recipes, question

I was looking through the above book, and noticed that the yeast used seems to be preforming differently from batch to batch, I know that this can be the case but there seems to be large discrepancies for example k1v 1116 is used for all the traditional meads at the start of the book ranging from a 12%dry to 16%sack I am wondering how this is possible if k1v 1116 will go to 18% and there is no mentioning of back sweetening. What am I missing here?

Most any yeast can be made a low, medium or high ABV producer depending on how much honey you start with. Of course none can go on forever. So you add as much sugars as you want to hit an ABV. once it zeros out you stabilize it. And now you can add as much or as little honey/juices ect as you want to get your finished profile.

You can have any ABV at dry, off dry, semi, sweet, desert sweet depending on how much sugars you add after you stabilize. Sack is a reference to the ABV level @ 16% or above ABV
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

3. Default

That's my point. The recipes add all the honey up front, with no mention of back sweetening!

He likely does it the way I do. It's based on the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.

I know my yeast will eat through 120 points and quit. If I want it dry, I use <120 points of honey. Off dry, 130 points. Sweet, 140 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Better brewing through science!

Default Big book of mead recipes, question

It's not perfect, but it works well enough. Sometimes yeast can put on super suits.

6. Default

Yes but, 18% is a normal day at the office for k1v 1116, so I don't understand how he is getting a 14% with an fg of 1.015 without back sweetening, oh LoR you might want check your relationship with 1388, sounds like you are getting a bit possessive

Quote Originally Posted by Yenren View Post
    Yes but, 18% is a normal day at the office for k1v 1116, so I don't understand how he is getting a 14% with an fg of 1.015 without back sweetening, oh LoR you might want check your relationship with 1388, sounds like you are getting a bit possessive
    I don't know then. Shoot him an email or on GotMead Facebook.

As long as she treats me right, I may be a bit possessive. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Yenren View Post
    How do you know he is not back sweetening. It can't work both ways. He's got to be back sweetening. Or lying LOL
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!