• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

clouded apple mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2017
hello i made a apple Mead a few months ago and its refusing to clear
I can even see the floating particles when I shake it slightly

I have already used Bentonite but that had no effect
I used 12gr on 11 liters because it was cloudy as the movie "The Mist" ! :p
and i dont mean by cloudy just a little bit i mean the most cloudy stuff you can think of
i think its apple particles floating around but iam not sure

Now I was thinking .. could I try some pectic enzyme as I had not used it from the start?

recipe: I used apple juice and honey just very basic

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Two or three quick and dirty ideas:Sometimes the CO2 that is dissolved in solution will prevent particles from dropping out of suspension - have you tried to degas?
If you heated the apple juice you might have set the pectins (think jam or jelly). Pectic enzyme is usually added before fermentation (I think that the alcohol can denature the enzyme - but you can still add some although you may need to double or quadruple the amount of enzyme).
A possible alternative solution is to see if you can drop the temperature of the mead close to freezing. That will force the yeast cells to drop out of solution and their weight may help clear your mead.
Last thought - sometimes it just takes a while longer for a wine or mead to clear.

curgoth

Why do something when you can overdo it?
GotMead Patron
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
www.memento-mori.ca
IIRC, there has been some experimentation, and while it's slightly less effective, pectic enzyme does work in the presence of alcohol. My own experience bears this out - I had a peach melomel that refused to clear until I gave it an extra dose, months after fermentation was finished.

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
IIRC, there has been some experimentation, and while it's slightly less effective, pectic enzyme does work in the presence of alcohol. My own experience bears this out - I had a peach melomel that refused to clear until I gave it an extra dose, months after fermentation was finished.

Agreeing with you on this one, and my personal experiences also confirm the same.

Toasty

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2017
I would try cold crashing and add Superkleer

thank you for your answer

by chance I had ordered kiezelsol along with "Gelatine" because it was recommended on the shop page

Do you happen to know in what quantities do you best use those 2 products?
Quantities are not on the packaging and I do not know if I have to use less because I use 2 clearing resources
or do you recommend using the Kiezelsol only?

for those who dont know i looked up kiezelsol is in the Superkleer product

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I don't know which is which but the instructions would tell you to add one of the two ingredients first. If that happens to clear up your Mead, then you're good and you won't need to use the other fraction.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
thank you for your answer

by chance I had ordered kiezelsol along with "Gelatine" because it was recommended on the shop page

Do you happen to know in what quantities do you best use those 2 products?
Quantities are not on the packaging and I do not know if I have to use less because I use 2 clearing resources
or do you recommend using the Kiezelsol only?

for those who dont know i looked up kiezelsol is in the Superkleer product

You mean kieselsol, right? From my Super-Kleer packet, you add 15 ml of the kieselsol to 5-6 gallons of must. According to an online calculator, 15 ml = 3 tsp. For 11 liters (3 gallons) I'd probably use 7.5 to 10 ml (1.5 to 2 tsp).

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/super-kleer-kc-finings

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns