• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Schramm Nutmeg recipie Q

Barrel Char Wood Products

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi Jamie Rossi - and welcome. Speaking from ignorance and not specific knowledge, even if Schramm uses the same ingredients (and my guess is that his sources will be different from yours and when it comes to quality ingredients ingredients are not interchangeable. Quality means something) his techniques and practices will be different and so even if you used the same ingredients from the same sources your meads will be quite different from his. That is why (I think) meaderies such as Groennfell in Vermont have no problem publishing their recipes.

J

Jamie Rossi

Hi Jamie Rossi - and welcome. Speaking from ignorance and not specific knowledge, even if Schramm uses the same ingredients (and my guess is that his sources will be different from yours and when it comes to quality ingredients ingredients are not interchangeable. Quality means something) his techniques and practices will be different and so even if you used the same ingredients from the same sources your meads will be quite different from his. That is why (I think) meaderies such as Groennfell in Vermont have no problem publishing their recipes.

Thanks for the reply!
This is a Schramm recipe from his book. I should have included that in the OP.
As an amerture mead maker, I was just hoping to get in the ballpark of the type/taste. Schramm Nutmeg mead is my absolute favorite!

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Try it. Nothing to lose. I am sure that you will make a good mead. Whether it will taste exactly like Schramm's can only be known when you crack open a bottle. Not a chef but as I am sure any chef will tell you it's never just the ingredients, though nothing will taste well if the ingredients are not superlative, but ultimately it's always really only about technique.

Redbeeard

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 27, 2017
If that is the "dry nutmeg metheglin" from Ken's book, then it is not the same recipe. Schramm's nutmeg is really sweet(and no cinnamon) and the recipe in the book is dry. I may be totally wrong but I think the sweeter version uses D-47 instead.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
While that book is outstanding. Probably the best one available. The protocols are antiquated and not current with modern science. I would use the same ingredients if you choose. But I would wait until you understand how to employ modern techniques. Your mead will be drinkable much much sooner.

J

Jamie Rossi

If that is the "dry nutmeg metheglin" from Ken's book, then it is not the same recipe. Schramm's nutmeg is really sweet(and no cinnamon) and the recipe in the book is dry. I may be totally wrong but I think the sweeter version uses D-47 instead.

It is. Any chance you have a recipe for the sweet version?

Last edited:
J

Jamie Rossi

While that book is outstanding. Probably the best one available. The protocols are antiquated and not current with modern science. I would use the same ingredients if you choose. But I would wait until you understand how to employ modern techniques. Your mead will be drinkable much much sooner.

Are there specific techniques that are now out dated? Im two batches deep before I found Schramms mead and this book.

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
it's not that techniques are outdated or don't work, they should not be cast away. it's that there are newer techniques providing many benefits over previous practices.

NewBee Guide in green link bar above.
meadmaderight.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oODPBYXqfjk

considering schrams nutmeg mead on page 165, there is little or no technique info. that is garnished from the previous 164 pages of schrams's documented life-knowledge of mead making. you need to employ yourself and your own practices and techniques to make your mead in your life of mead making.

Last edited:
J

Jamie Rossi

it's not that techniques are outdated or don't work, they should not be cast away. it's that there are newer techniques providing many benefits over previous practices.

NewBee Guide in green link bar above.
meadmaderight.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oODPBYXqfjk

considering schrams nutmeg mead on page 165, there is little or no technique info. that is garnished from the previous 164 pages of schrams's documented life-knowledge of mead making. you need to employ yourself and your own practices and techniques to make your mead in your life of mead making.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns