Thread: Purée vs frozen fruit

Default Purée vs frozen fruit

Hi, I'm wondering is there much difference between the above flavour wise? Also would there be much difference in the weight used?
    Thanks

So that's a bit difficult to tell. Shouldn't be much of a difference with the two sources if you are speaking of "purchased" from a store. If you pick your own and freeze it. Then possibly. As you know, the very best day to pick any given specific fruit patch might be only 2 or 3 days. Before or after and more likely than not it won't be as good. I would think both should probably be picked close to the best times as they can go straight to the freezer or to the press.

If you went and picked a bunch of fruit. An pressed 5 pounds, or picked 5 pounds it should be the same. If you buy frozens at the supermarket and a can of puree from a LHBS. That's hard to say. But I think it would be pretty close.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Thanks, so just sub lb for lb purée for frozen.

I think the frozen vs puree flavor depends on the fruit.
    Example - frozen raspberries should not be that much different in flavor from pureed. On the other hand if you use stone fruit than whole frozen fruit will give you different flavor than puree because you will need to discard the stones to make puree.
    Also, when making my own puree I freeze it for a week or two anyway.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Yenren View Post
    Hi, I'm wondering is there much difference between the above flavour wise? Also would there be much difference in the weight used?
    Thanks
    If you’re talking the difference from purée vs whole fruit, purée allows better transfer of the flavors than whole fruit would. Little more work but I feel it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any problem getting everything out of any type of berries or stone fruit. Take one out after it's been in a couple weeks. There is nothing inside at all
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!