• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Converting Winekit to make a Pyment ( noob in need)

Barrel Char Wood Products

GMYanick

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 10, 2017
So while I was planning on just starting with doing some traditionals, when I went to buy my equipment there was a deal on the wine kits. So obviously since it was cheaper that having to buy the hardare I needed seperatly I jumped on the deal.

So this week the plan is to start my pyment. I have enough to make 5L (1.3 gallon) of Cabernet Sauvignon. And I was wondering how much honey I should add to get a semi-sweet. I tried the calculator but do not know how to extrapolate this information. If it helps I have about 4Kg (8.8lbs) of wildflower honey. The winekit works with concentrated juice no grapes themselves.

Thank you for any help, once I have the info I'll make it sure to add it to the mead log

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So we did a podcast a few weeks ago here on Gotmeadlive. We interviewed one of the best pyment makers in the world. You will enjoy that if you listen to it.

But to directly answer your question. I would add spring water to get to 2.25 gallons of must. Add enough honey to get to 1120. The amount will depend, because I don't know what your gravity will be with your grape concentrate and water.

Rehydrate K1V with goferm and feed based on TOSNA protocol and keep your temps as close to 60 as you can. More beer should sell the Goferm. Not sure about Fermaid O. Shop around

GMYanick

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 10, 2017
thanks,

yeah that podcast was why I thought this would be a good idea.

So if i get this right, no real way to know how much (or an aproximation) I need to add to getto 1120 ?

As for Goferm or Fermaid O being in Europe makes that harder. but I have yeast activator, and nutrients from the brewstore and will be using those for sure.

I assume that the 60 is in Fahrenheit, so that would be around 15C is that not cold?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
thanks,

yeah that podcast was why I thought this would be a good idea.

So if i get this right, no real way to know how much (or an aproximation) I need to add to getto 1120 ?

As for Goferm or Fermaid O being in Europe makes that harder. but I have yeast activator, and nutrients from the brewstore and will be using those for sure.

I assume that the 60 is in Fahrenheit, so that would be around 15C is that not cold?

So ass long as the rehydration material is void of DAP it should be fine. DAP is toxic at the point of rehydration for the yeast. I don't know for sure how much honey you need because I don't know the gravity of the concentrate once it gets watered down. So just add what ever amount of honey you need to bring your gravity to the ABV you are seeking using a hydrometer to measure it.

Make sure you understand how to rehydrate with temps in mind . Both to rehydrate and to attemperate the slurry to the must. Both are vital to good success.

Your temp conversion is correct. And no that is a great temp for that yeast. Always use very close top the bottom of the desired temps for all of your different yeast species.

GMYanick

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 10, 2017
So ass long as the rehydration material is void of DAP it should be fine. DAP is toxic at the point of rehydration for the yeast. I don't know for sure how much honey you need because I don't know the gravity of the concentrate once it gets watered down. So just add what ever amount of honey you need to bring your gravity to the ABV you are seeking using a hydrometer to measure it.

Make sure you understand how to rehydrate with temps in mind . Both to rehydrate and to attemperate the slurry to the must. Both are vital to good success.

Your temp conversion is correct. And no that is a great temp for that yeast. Always use very close top the bottom of the desired temps for all of your different yeast species.

Okay so my yeast has te be rehydrated between 18-20 celcius. ( 64.5-68 F) according to the package, so I'll do that. And do I understand correctly (English is my fourth language) that you are saying not to use any nutrient in the Starter but to wait until fermentation is going? (if so that was what i intended to do, just use the springwater and some of the residual honey from my container to get a starter + the recommended yeast activator) Then wait to pitch it until they are about the same temp

GMYanick

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 10, 2017
yeah dap and nutrients do not go into my starter ( just spring water and the residual honey from my container), just the yeast activator.

K according to the yeast manufacturere it should be started between 18-20 C ( 64.5-68F) so I will do that.

But thanks for the warning about DAP in the starter, while I was not planning on useing it, good to know it is bad for the yeast

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So you made some mistakes. You need to rehydrate at 104f. The temps you listed is the temp you hold it at while you ferment. And you don't add honey in the rehydration slurry. If you don't use Goferm. Then use only tap water.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns