• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bucket to Carboy

Barrel Char Wood Products

monkerz

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2017
First off I want to say this is a great forum to gather knowledge. Thanks.

I have been making wine for a few years now and just learned about Mead. I started my first Cyser batch 4 days ago in a 5 gallon bucket. Do I wait 7 days like wine prior to moving over to a 5 gallon carboy? Also I have read many posts and watched lots of videos and I do not see anyone degassing. Is this not necessary with Mead?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi Monkerz - and welcome. Fermentation really does not operate to a clock or calendar. You really want to rack from a bucket (or from your primary fermenter) to a secondary fermenter - usually a carboy sealed with bung and an airlock when the active fermentation is ending. To determine that point you need an hydrometer and not a calendar. Depending on all kinds of variables that period can last from 3 days to 3 months (OK perhaps that is a little bit of an exaggeration, but not much). You might want to transfer (rack) your cyser when the gravity drops to around 1.005 - 1.010.
Degassing? I think that most seasoned mead makers try to remove the CO2 the yeast produce a couple of times a day. Honey cannot buffer acidity very well and during fermentation acidity can rise so high that the fermentation can stall. The presence of CO2 increases the possibility of that problem and so much gas can be produced that it exerts a great deal of pressure on the yeast. This may be less of a problem when you are fermenting very small batches but it can nevertheless be a cause of stress to the yeast.
Hope this helps.

monkerz

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2017
That helped a lot. One last question. Do I introduce new oxygen and stir or should I shake the Carboy really good ?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
That helped a lot. One last question. Do I introduce new oxygen and stir or should I shake the Carboy really good ?

For the first week or so you want to stir hard enough to create a vortex so it introduces O2 into the must. After that you stir less aggressively so as to only release the Co2 from suspension in the must.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns