• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Brewing Noob first batch - should I stop the ferment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I guess that explains it. The instructions I saw probably came from brewers that started with beer practices.

Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Eventually, you will come to find that beer makers come over to mead with problems they had with beer that are not problems with mead. And the wine people bring things across that doesn't apply here either.

reet

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2017
OK, so final racking, and gave it another taste. I think it is better, but I also think I'll definitely want to back sweeten it. Since I used cheap bulk honey, there isn't a whole lot of the honey aromas coming through, so the acidic flavours are taking over, but overall the flavour is quite mellow. At this point I'd say it tastes better than it smells, because it still has some of that "old juice" type of smell. As dry as it is, I think it I had maybe used some quality raw honey that it would be much better. It is dry with light flavour, which is not the best combination IMO.

Time will tell, I'll give it some months to age, perhaps if I backsweeten with some quality local raw honey it will be improved greatly.

Thanks all for your advice. Right now I can confidently say "I made mead", so I am prepared for my next batch with some more quality ingredients. We have an apple tree in our yard which produces many gallons of apples every year, so I see some Cyser coming next fall, and maybe some cider too, rather than leaving many apples on the ground that only serve to get wasps drunk.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns