• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need help with a Orange Blossom Mead Recipe

Barrel Char Wood Products

AlwaysWaven

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 5, 2015
Hello all,

I want to make a medium mead with orange blossom honey and as few ingredients as possible. I want it to be medium sweet and taste clean. However, whenever I look for a recipe I keep finding JAOM because of the word 'orange.'

Anyone have something laying around?

Thanks!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Would you rather stick around and learn a little bit first. So that your first batch is something good and you will be proud to share it with your friends. Or do you just want a recipe?

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi AlwaysWaven, I wonder if you have the recipe yourself. Let me ask you a few questions and the answers to these questions will tell you the "recipe" but as Squatchy hints - the recipe is not the most important thing. Process and protocol is far more important. OK. Here are my questions.
1. What volume of mead are you planning to make?
2. How much honey do you intend to ferment?
3. What ABV are you looking for?
4.What yeast are you planning to use? Why?
5. At what temperature are you planning to ferment the must (the honey solution before you pitch the yeast)?
6. How are you planning to ensure that this will be bottled "medium sweet"? What exactly do you mean by "medium sweet"?
7. At what TA do you want to bottle this mead? How will you determine this?
8. Will this need any additional tannin?

The answers to those 8 questions will give you your recipe.

AlwaysWaven

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 5, 2015
Hi AlwaysWaven, I wonder if you have the recipe yourself. Let me ask you a few questions and the answers to these questions will tell you the "recipe" but as Squatchy hints - the recipe is not the most important thing. Process and protocol is far more important. OK. Here are my questions.
1. What volume of mead are you planning to make?
2. How much honey do you intend to ferment?
3. What ABV are you looking for?
4.What yeast are you planning to use? Why?
5. At what temperature are you planning to ferment the must (the honey solution before you pitch the yeast)?
6. How are you planning to ensure that this will be bottled "medium sweet"? What exactly do you mean by "medium sweet"?
7. At what TA do you want to bottle this mead? How will you determine this?
8. Will this need any additional tannin?

The answers to those 8 questions will give you your recipe.

1. 5 gallons
2. 12-15 lbs of this - https://www.ebeehoney.com/raw_orange_blossom_honey_gallon.html
3. 8%-12%
4. D-47 would be my first thought, but I am open to others.
5. I have a temp controler on my keezer, so I can ferment at any temperature.
6. I have never back sweetened, but I probably need to learn to do it. Something you could drink with a meal and not be overcome with sugar taste.
7. I figured that I would use potassium carb or Fermaid O.
8. I have never used it before, but I would be up for adding a couple gs if you think it would help.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Using the gotmead batch calculator, for a 5 gallon batch:

12lbs = 1.086 = 11.48%

15lbs = 1.108 = 14.13%

Due to the varying sugar content of honey, the calculations are only approximate and taking readings with your hydrometer are highly encouraged.

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns