Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Fermax amount hard to find

  1. #1

    Default Fermax amount hard to find

    First timer here.
    1gal honey from my bees, 4gal water, 1 small pack Lavin 71B-1122.

    Local shop only add Fermax so I bought it. But now, very hard to find correct amount to use.

    Does this sound acceptable? Five teaspoons total, added at 24, 48, 72hrs, 1.7 teaspoons each time.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brookline, NH
    Posts
    445

    Default

    And that's why Fermaid products are highly recommended by mead makers. Scott Labs is pretty open about what is in their products.

    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...about-nutrient

    But, if Fermax is what you have, then it's better than no nutrients at all. Your intended "protocol" sounds reasonable.

    Do you have a hydrometer? If not, how will you determine when the fermentation is complete?

    When you say small pack, 5 grams or more? You should be pitching at least 2 grams per gallon. So, if you only have 5 grams, get another pack (if not 2), as yeast is cheap!

    Are you planning on doing daily aeration/degassing? You'll want to degas before adding your nutrients, to prevent the must over flowing your fermentation vessel (bucket or carboy?) and you may want to dissolve them, in a small cup of the must, before adding.

    Have you read the NewBee guide? Top of this webpage.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks for reply, helpful.
    Yes, only added 5g yeast so I added 10g more. I was hoping my refractometer used for beekeeping would work to judge fermentation but I'm finding out not very well. Yes, I have been poking around the newbie guide and other resources too. So many differing opinions out there that makes it challenging.


    Quote Originally Posted by darigoni View Post
    And that's why Fermaid products are highly recommended by mead makers. Scott Labs is pretty open about what is in their products.

    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...about-nutrient

    But, if Fermax is what you have, then it's better than no nutrients at all. Your intended "protocol" sounds reasonable.

    Do you have a hydrometer? If not, how will you determine when the fermentation is complete?

    When you say small pack, 5 grams or more? You should be pitching at least 2 grams per gallon. So, if you only have 5 grams, get another pack (if not 2), as yeast is cheap!

    Are you planning on doing daily aeration/degassing? You'll want to degas before adding your nutrients, to prevent the must over flowing your fermentation vessel (bucket or carboy?) and you may want to dissolve them, in a small cup of the must, before adding.

    Have you read the NewBee guide? Top of this webpage.

  4. #4

    Default

    As darigoni said, dosing depends on some other factors. But assuming you're doing everything well there were earlier threads which suggested fermax amounts comparable to fermaid k amounts. The problem is not that fermax does not post what is contained within. I think I had found that info, although I think lallemand's info is easier to find. The problem is that we do not know whether the ratio of ingredients is the same as that in fermaid k. If all the forums used fermax we would also not know what dosing to use fermaid k. Neither company tells you what percentage of dap and amino acids are in the product.
    I used fermax in the past and I think I used dosing like fermaid k. Chances are you will use too much not too little since I somehow doubt fermax uses more complex nutrients than fermaid k. The less complex, the more dap, the less you need. They have used too much for ages in the past. If ferment goes by too fast/vigorous you might want to lessen the dose
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks for replies, very helpful along with newbie guide. I added 10g more of yeast per yeast directions 24hrs after first dose. Then added first 1.7tsp fermax and yes it overflowed... Is that bad other than the mess?

    Also, fermax additions two (48hr) and three (72hrs) did not produce much foaming? Hrs later very little and none bubbling through airlock. I have no idea if this means anything.

    My plan, as suggested, is to just leave it alone for a while, sound good?

  6. #6

    Default

    Mead isn't simply adding nutrients, you need to aerate as well. Could also be a problem of temperature, acidity... or no problem at all. You really need a hydrometer and take some readings for us to be able to help. Hydrometer readings would have also been very useful before you do fermax additions. If the sg is very low and if you're experienced you would know that the mead does not need the extra addition. Also adding fermax after a certain point of fermentation has little value so you really need a hydrometer. Having said that, lack of foaming doesn't mean much so don't worry too much before you get those readings
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Brookline, NH
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darigoni View Post

    Do you have a hydrometer? If not, how will you determine when the fermentation is complete?

    Are you planning on doing daily aeration/degassing? You'll want to degas before adding your nutrients, to prevent the must over flowing your fermentation vessel (bucket or carboy?) and you may want to dissolve them, in a small cup of the must, before adding.

    Have you read the NewBee guide? Top of this webpage.
    ----------

  8. #8

    Default

    OK, got it. I honestly thought I could get away with using my beekeeping honey refractometer but I was mistaken. A hydrometer is on order. I think I understand that it is best to take readings at the beginning too but we're past that now. I'm go to take you guys suggestions and will report back with the hydro reading soon.

    One good thing about keeping bees is I've got three extra gallons of honey I don't know what to do with. So, if i screw up this batch I'll def try it again right away. I'm excited to learn and serve up some mead at some point!

    Thanks

  9. #9

    Default

    New hydrometer is here. First hydrometer reading at one week is 1.008.

    Observations- very little bubbling though it has picked up a small bit around day 5.

    Recap-
    11/25 started must 1gal local honey/4gal water, 5g yeast 71b 1122
    11/26 added10g yeast and fed 1.6tsp fermax
    11/27 1.6 fermax
    11/28 2tsp fermax
    12/2 hydrometer 1.008

  10. #10

    Default

    Ok this ferment seems doing well. I think there might have been too much nutrients by the speed of the ferment. Do some more research on more recent dosing amounts of fermaid k. Could also be too high temps. Having said that if this ferment takes 8-10 days it's not terribly quick.. I've had maltreated batches go quicker. Read up more and post your recipe and method before you start next time and you might get some feedback that cuts down on your aging and improves your method

  11. #11

    Default

    Thank you for all the feedback/advice. it is much appreciated! I hope people will continue to offer feedback.

    Must in pretty consistent 60-62 degree environment in basement. Fermax directions say 1-1.5 tsp per gal which is 5-7.5 tsp for 5 gal batch, I added around 5.5tsp total.

    As I understand it from my research, I'm looking for hydro reading to stop changing for several weeks to indicate end of ferment, then rack to secondary?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    Thank you for all the feedback/advice. it is much appreciated! I hope people will continue to offer feedback.

    Must in pretty consistent 60-62 degree environment in basement. Fermax directions say 1-1.5 tsp per gal which is 5-7.5 tsp for 5 gal batch, I added around 5.5tsp total.

    As I understand it from my research, I'm looking for hydro reading to stop changing for several weeks to indicate end of ferment, then rack to secondary?
    Yes. If you plan to add anything else to it, you will need to stabilize it first. Look it up
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

  13. #13

    Default

    If i'm hoping for a dry mead, am I on track?? Next steps advice?

    12/9 Hydrometer 1.002. Still in original carboy. have not shaken or stirred it since around 11/29. Mead becoming a little clearer. Mellow champagne smell, tastes like watery champagne, not very sweet. Very light effervescence on the tongue.

    Recap-
    11/25 started must 1gal local honey/4gal water, 5g yeast 71b 1122
    11/26 added10g yeast and fed 1.6tsp fermax
    11/27 1.6 fermax
    11/28 2tsp fermax
    12/2 hydrometer 1.008
    Last edited by Scitfrostbite; 12-10-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    If i'm hoping for a dry mead, am I on track?? Next steps advice?

    12/9 Hydrometer 1.002. Still in original carboy. have not shaken or stirred it since around 11/29. Mead becoming a little clearer. Mellow champagne smell, tastes like watery champagne, not very sweet. Very light effervescence on the tongue.

    Recap-
    11/25 started must 1gal local honey/4gal water, 5g yeast 71b 1122
    11/26 added10g yeast and fed 1.6tsp fermax
    11/27 1.6 fermax
    11/28 2tsp fermax
    12/2 hydrometer 1.008
    You wanted dry. And you have it. So no mystery it isn't sweet, or that it lacks mouthfeel with the low ABC you have
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

  15. #15

    Default

    Does anyone have any advice they can offer to help my first mead come out? Last comment didn’t offer much advice.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    Does anyone have any advice they can offer to help my first mead come out? Last comment didn’t offer much advice.
    You didn't ask what you wanted. You stated you wanted a dry mead and that's what you have.

    So what do you want to do to it now. Tell us this and I/we can help
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Similar Threads

  1. Fermax = Energizer?
    By joemirando in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 10:33 PM
  2. When to add Fermax? and how much?
    By capoeirista13 in forum Mead NewBees - Post your Questions Here
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 08:15 PM
  3. Refridgerating Fermax
    By UncleBen in forum Archives
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 04:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •