Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Cyser

UPDATE

SG = 1.030

It smells pretty pleasant. I can smell the honey and apple quite distinctly. The cinnamon I added to it does not seem to be imparting any scent. It also does not smell as "hot" as I remember my previous attempts smelling. I am excited to try it when I rack to the secondary.

Degassing would definitely be easier in something with a wider opening. My next attempt will definitely be in a bucket.

As I am now approaching the end of fermentation, I reviewed the last couple chapters in the NewBee guide. At the end of Chapter 15 it lays out the racking process so I will be following those steps to the best of my ability (once I reach a constant SG for a few days). These steps are as follows:

1. Refrigerate for a week.

2. Move to counter and let settle for 24 hours.

3. Rack onto the K-Sorbate, K-metabisulfite, and additional spices (if it could benefit from some extra spice).

4. Fill some of the headspace with some extra cider (this step is not in the NewBee guide but I saw on another thread that topping off should be done to help prevent oxidation).

5. Check the SG.

6. Blanket the mead with a small bit of carbon dioxide. How do I do this? I would think that I should use something like Private Preserve wine preserver (this product is not CO2 though?). The only CO2 spray I see is meant for cleaning. Is that what I should use or is the Private Preserve better?

7. Seal off the secondary with an airlock.

Any steps I may have forgotten?

Thank you in advance!
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - JRR Tolkien

Don't worry about the blanket thing. It's not true. Just top off and keep closed. Learn about SO2 additions. Even though you rack on to some. 50-60% get bound in the first few days and you are left with too little.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

UPDATE

12/10: SG=1.022
    12/12: SG=1.015

If I am doing my calculation right (and I measured the OG right), the yeast have gone past what I expected them to. I have no qualms with a stronger result so I will just let them keep on going. I am interested to see how far past the supposed tolerance they will go...
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - JRR Tolkien

You mean 1122 for your SG don't you?
    It's not uncommon for the yeast to go past it's listed ABV tolerance if you treat them right with modern science.

Oh that's the SG from 2 days ago, not the OG. Just for my record keeping more than for the blurb below it.

If the yeast commonly go past the listed tolerance, how do you properly plan the mead? Do you just always plan to stabilize once it hits your desired FG?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Oh that's the SG from 2 days ago, not the OG. Just for my record keeping more than for the blurb below it.

If the yeast commonly go past the listed tolerance, how do you properly plan the mead? Do you just always plan to stabilize once it hits your desired FG?

Yes exactly. Make your must strong enough to hit your desired ABV. Run it dry. Stabilize. Then back sweeten to your liking.

Duly noted. That should make planning easier. Do you get off flavors once it starts going past it's tolerance? I imagine there is a lot of strain on the yeast...

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Duly noted. That should make planning easier. Do you get off flavors once it starts going past it's tolerance? I imagine there is a lot of strain on the yeast...

Not if everything else is in good working order. They don't die like many think. They just become inactive. I have not ever had a single batch get pissy on me doing it like this. It is quite standard practice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12