• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Water after racking

Barrel Char Wood Products

hpereira98

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2017
Braga, Portugal
If a recipe for a gallon batch tells me that the amount of honey is, for example, 3 1/2 lbs, and I want to top it with water after racking, what amount of extra honey should I put when I begin making the mead? Like 7 oz?

Thanks!

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
In my opinion, hpereira, it's better to begin with more than a gallon so that there is no real need to top up. If you assume the starting volume is, say , 1.25 gallons then rather than treat 1 lb of honey raising the gravity of 1 gallon by .035 points you assume that 1 lb will raise the gravity of 1.25 gallons by .028 points. If 3.5 gallons in 1 gallon will raise the gravity of that gallon to 1.1225 then to raise 1.25 gallons by the same amount you will need .1225/.028 or 4.375 lbs of honey. The idea is that if you ferment in a bucket there will be more than enough headroom and when it comes time to rack you can rack into a one gallon carboy and fill that vessel to the very top and any extra you can store in a mason jar or a 1.5 liter wine bottle and refrigerate.

hpereira98

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2017
Braga, Portugal
Ok, thank you, but I didnt understand much of what you said :(
The thing is, I only have in my possession a 1 gallon demijohn. Where I live I dont seem to find one bigger than that.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
OK - sorry that you didn't understand my post. But as to your point - They don't make food grade buckets in Portugal? You don't need the carboy for active fermentation (the first few weeks when the yeast is producing CO2 and making alcohol). A bucket that is suitable for food is fine.

hpereira98

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2017
Braga, Portugal
Yes, they make it, but they are not as easy to find as a wine carboy for example. You don't find those food grade buckets on any store or supermarket. One thing I've noticed is that we dont have for sale products in those proportions, I mean, they are usually sold in small packages. I could only find those buckets on a wholesale, and they are not accessible to everyone.

Isn't it any way to solve this using only the carboy?
I wanted to know if adding more honey in the beggining was a good practice if a really wanted to make a gallon batch. And if so, how much honey more.

Thank you!!

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
If you are trying to make up the difference in space in your demijohn after racking and not change the alcohol level then use the same ratio of honey and water that you started with. So, how much honey depends on how much liquid you have to add. Just be aware that the yeast will ferment your added honey and there will be lees again.

hpereira98

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2017
Braga, Portugal
For example:
If I'm making 1 gallon of mead, and the recipe is:
1.3kg honey
Water and Yeast

Assuming I want to keep the gallon jug "full" after racking, should I put 1.5kg of honey to compensate the water I'll add after racking? I dont want to add any more honey after racking, just water.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
For example:
If I'm making 1 gallon of mead, and the recipe is:
1.3kg honey
Water and Yeast

Assuming I want to keep the gallon jug "full" after racking, should I put 1.5kg of honey to compensate the water I'll add after racking? I dont want to add any more honey after racking, just water.

I wouldn't add water. It will water down your mead. Stabilize first. Then add what ever honey you want to get your sweetness level you desire. Then age it.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Oh about the same amount as the length of string you use when you wrap a package... :hello:
I don't know that there is any way to predict how much loss you will have. But the amount of loss will also depend on your siphoning or racking equipment and the technique you use when you rack...

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Cannot say whether this is good practice but it is my practice. Others may have a different approach.
I use an automatic siphon. That means I don't need to suck to create a vacuum but the siphon has an inner tube that if you "pump" will draw the wine up then gravity does the rest. The siphon I use has a fitting on the end that keeps the siphon above much of the lees or sediment but what you might want to do is make or find some device that will keep the siphon at a fixed height but a height that you can reduce as more of the wine is transferred to the secondary. I use a thin book or piece of wood to angle the fermenter so that I can siphon off more of the wine. and when I have racked all the wine I transfer what is left in the carboy to a tall but narrow jar that I store in the fridge for a few hours (sometimes that turns to days). In the fridge the wine separates from the solids and allows me to add more of the wine to the secondary.

hpereira98

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2017
Braga, Portugal
Thank you for the tip!
Do you have any photos of the position you put the recipients? So that I can make a better image of the technique on my head ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns