Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default Fruit puree addition ratios?

I have searched as much as I can, and I could not find specific information on here (or elsewhere) on this topic, so forgive me if I just missed a previous thread.

I have a 5 gallon batch of medium-sweetness orange blossom mead currently in secondary, which I want to rack into 5 separate 1-gallon carboys. I recently posted a question about racking it. For being young, it tastes quite good.

I will be adding different ingredients to each carboy - two of which will be melomels. My question regards using fruit purees.

Given racking onto fruit purees in a 1-gallon container, how many ounces of puree do you all suggest using? I am using Vintner's Harvest fruit purees. One will be black currant, and one will be peach. Also, would the type of puree change the ratio suggested? What are your experiences using them?

Thanks in advance!
    James Sforza
    Advanced Cicerone, Manager, Vintage Estate Wine & Beer

I am not familiar with that specific puree, but I have made a delicious raspberry melomel with about 4 cups mashed raspberries per gallon. Now I would like to mention that I don't add any kind of stabilizer, so the fermentation kicked right back up again. If you have stabilized after the primary you may want less.

Thanks for the reply! That's definitely very helpful. I have indeed stabilized, so I'm going to start with Ken Schramm's g/L suggestions for mild fruit character at first, given your suggestion for using less, having stabilized.

If it's not as much intensity as I want, I can always rack again onto a little more purée and drink the tiny amount of overflow, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James Sforza

So there's no mystery as to how it will taste once you add the puree. It won't change since you stabilized. So you can taste it as soon as you add some juice. And it will taste like it will taste from then on out.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Default Fruit puree addition ratios?

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    So there's no mystery as to how it will taste once you add the puree. It won't change since you stabilized. So you can taste it as soon as you add some juice. And it will taste like it will taste from then on out.
    Thanks for the response. I kind of figured that already;

My question was more about intensity of flavor, rather than the flavor interaction itself. I was asking if anyone had any experience with different ratios of purees to mead in terms of respective intensity of fruit flavor in the mead after the addition.

I may pull a small sample and try a small scale mix first and then use scary math to apply it to the whole batch.

I'll definitely post my findings after I make the additions, on a 16 point intensity scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James Sforza