• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Calming Down Ciser Taste

Barrel Char Wood Products

RJLougee

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 23, 2017
Falcon, CO
I made a ciser on 30 November, this was my first one.

Recipe:
Four gallons cider, all natural, UV pasteurized, only ingredient: Apples, not from concentrate.
12# honey from the local HBS.
5 oz raisins, Organic.
8 oz pitted dates, Sunsweet pitted dates.
1 tsp yeast energizer.
2 tsp yeast nutrients.
Safecider yeast used, pitched dry on top.

I did not get OG/FG readings because the book said it would be off anyway due to the fruit...

About the 27th of December it was all done fermenting and I transferred it to a secondary and had a little taste of it. it was DRY, like really dry and has a significant after taste, like jet fuel.....

Since I prefer things on the sweeter side, I added some apple juice concentrate and a little more honey (maybe 1.5#).

It's been sitting since, hoping it'll mellow out a bit, no additional fermentation has taken place (not that I can see, no bubbles at all from the airlock since).

I'd like to bottle it soon, but the jet fuel flavor kind of threw me off, maybe it's just at 15% ABV or so and I'm not used to it?

So, seeking suggestions/help from the great collective.

What do I need to do moving forward? Let it sit more and chill, back-sweeten more, add some more cider/honey and dilute it?
TIA, Joe

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
You should have taken an SG reading anyway, just to give you some starting point reference. If the SG of the cider was around 1.050 and you used 12lbs of honey, you would have had a starting gravity of approx. 1.136, with a potential alcohol of 17.3%. Has the yeast settled out (is it clear)? Perhaps you just don't like the taste of Cyser, with yeast still floating in it?

You should have gotten an FG before blindly tossing in more honey and the apple concentrate. You should take it now and see where you are at.

Last edited:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Your jet fuel is because you didn't use as good of methods as you could have if you would have known better. It's going to take a good while for that to mellow out. Hard to say because I don't know how bad it tastes. I would age it for another 6 months and report back then

RJLougee

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 23, 2017
Falcon, CO
Has the yeast settled out (is it clear)? Perhaps you just don't like the taste of Cyser, with yeast still floating in it? You should take it now and see where you are at.

The cyser is not clear, but the cider I used was raw cider and wasn't clear either. I assumed (I know...) that the cyser would end up about the same opacity as the cider and in this case, it is.

I suppose it's possible I don't like Cyser with yeast in it, but that would be sooooo unlike me... In that respect I can't image it would be any worse then a number of yeasty German beers I've consumed over the years living there.

I did just take a reading and it's sitting at 1.015.

I also had another taste and just the couple of weeks it sat unmolested has mellowed it out a good bit.

Thanks for the response.
Joe

RJLougee

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 23, 2017
Falcon, CO
Also, I realized that maybe I need to better define the issue I'm having.

When first smelling the cyser you can definitely smell the alcohol, like as soon as your nose gets to the glass. Then a sip gives good flavors of apple, with a hint of some other flavors, then after you swallow the jet fuel thing hits you. And today was not as bad as a couple weeks ago.

So..., moving forward, my thoughts are to move it to a 6.5 gallon carboy, dilute it with another gallon of cider and check it in another month or two.

Thoughts?
TIA, Joe

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Also, I realized that maybe I need to better define the issue I'm having.

When first smelling the cyser you can definitely smell the alcohol, like as soon as your nose gets to the glass. Then a sip gives good flavors of apple, with a hint of some other flavors, then after you swallow the jet fuel thing hits you. And today was not as bad as a couple weeks ago.

So..., moving forward, my thoughts are to move it to a 6.5 gallon carboy, dilute it with another gallon of cider and check it in another month or two.

Thoughts?
TIA, Joe

I don't think you really need to dilute it. I think it just needs some age. Like 6 months to a year............

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
If you throw more stuff at it without stabilizing the ferment might just restart and you'll end up in the same place again. You might end up worse because yeast don't like stopping and starting multiple times and they create more fusels.
You don't want to stabilize either if you need to age this for a lengthy time since sorbate will break down and give off flavors over long periods of time and would lose it's effectiveness. sulphites also dissipate after extensive aging.
So I guess you might just want to let it alone and age/mellow out. This is one of the reasons I don't like adjusting meads that are too young

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Not very helpful, perhaps, but I would stay a hundred miles away from any "recipe" that advises you not to take an hydrometer reading because the added fruit is going to make the readiing useless. That's like refusing to check your fuel gauge because you are driving downhill. Checking your gauge will tell you whether you are driving on fumes or whether your gas tank is full. You really need to know whether you are making a mead with 3lbs of sugar/gallon or 4 or more lbs. Three pounds will give you a starting gravity of 1.105 but cider is not water and that adds another 50 points - so we are dealing with a starting gravity of 1.155. Those dates will have about 140 g of sugar in total - or about another 10 points added to each gallon so your starting gravity would have been about 1.165 - Heck - That's only 21% ABV... (I say that with some irony.. because to work with such a high ABV mead you really need to know what you are doing - It's a bit like driving a Ferrari for a driver's ed class.

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
From what I remember I think the SafCider yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 11% ABV. I know because I used it as well. What are the chances that it'll exceed the tolerance and keep fermenting past to 15% ABV?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns