• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Problems with Vanilla in Secondary?

• Thread starter Stephen Hollabaugh
  • Start date
Barrel Char Wood Products
S

Stephen Hollabaugh

Excited to start participating in this group. I've been devouring everything mead for the past few months.

This is my third batch and everything was going fine. First attempt at a BOMM, but my temps got to cold and I had a stalled fermentation. I transferred to a secondary, added EC1118, fermented to 1.000.

Then I took some slit vanilla beans and oak cubs. I soaked them in vodka for 2 hours and added them to the mead. The next day, I saw this white growth/accumulation on the vanilla beans so I added some sulfite to 40-50ppm so2. The next day I saw more of this on other beans.

My mead is currently sitting at 14% with 40-50 ppm SO2 (haven't measured since adding). I'm about to go on vacation for a few weeks and want to know if I should worry, bump up the sulfite, remove the beans? Or hopefully is is just attracting yeast? Here is a picture, don't know if I'm posting it correctly...

IMG_0310.jpg

joe.vinciguerra

Premium Patron
Aug 2, 2017
It's not something I've seen before. I'd be interested to know what it looks like when you get back from vacation.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Excited to start participating in this group. I've been devouring everything mead for the past few months.

This is my third batch and everything was going fine. First attempt at a BOMM, but my temps got to cold and I had a stalled fermentation. I transferred to a secondary, added EC1118, fermented to 1.000.

Then I took some slit vanilla beans and oak cubes. I soaked them in vodka for 2 hours and added them to the mead. The next day, I saw this white growth/accumulation on the vanilla beans so I added some sulfite to 40-50ppm so2. The next day I saw more of this on other beans.

My mead is currently sitting at 14% with 40-50 ppm SO2 (haven't measured since adding). I'm about to go on vacation for a few weeks and want to know if I should worry, bump up the sulfite, remove the beans? Or hopefully is is just attracting yeast? Here is a picture, don't know if I'm posting it correctly...

View attachment 1801

So yeast eats vanilla when it's active in a primary. So everyhting you have added will get assimilated. Both the beans and the vanillian in the oak. You add that after it's been stabilized.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns