Thread: Timeline for Stirring and Addition of Nutrients

1. Default Timeline for Stirring and Addition of Nutrients

Hello masters of mead.

So I'm about to start making my first batch of mead based on the recipe from Steve Piatz's book. I had to import all my materials and ingredients because they are either impossible to get over here or just really difficult to find. So I'm trying to be extra meticulous about the process to make sure I get things right or close to it on the first try.

So my question is about what he writes on stirring and the addition of fermaid K + DAP.

He says to stir for the next 8 days, 2-3 times a day or roughly every 8-12 hours.

Q1: Do I start stirring after 24 hours or 8 hours after pitching in the yeast?

This is where I get confused. He then goes on to say that "on days 3, 5, and 7 (2, 4, and 6 days respectively, after the initial batch was started)" to add the fermaid k and DAP mixture.

Q2: Is the day that I pitch the yeast counted as Day 1 or is it Day 0?

Day 1. Start stirring when you see that the fermentation has started. Where do you live that it's so hard to get products?
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

3. Default

How does it look like when fermentation starts? Or is it a "you'll know it when you see it" kind of thing?

I'm from the Philippines. While craft brewing is gaining traction, there isn't exactly an established brew store around here.

It will start to produce tiny bubbles that rise to the top
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

5. Default

Oh, makes sense. Thanks a lot. Hopefully I'll be having some good news to report in the days to come.