• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BOMM ratio for Wyeast 1388

Barrel Char Wood Products

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
I have read and listened to different sources of information for making a BOMM. I have seen 1 gallon versions use 1 pack of Wyeast 1388 and I have also read a recommendation for 2 packs for a 5 gal batch.

I am wondering whether one could split 1 pack into 2 separate 1 gallon batches ? In other words, is 1/2 a pack of Wyeast 1388 sufficient for your standard BOMM for 1 gallon?

thanks in advance for your knowledge

Valcarion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 17, 2018
I have read and listened to different sources of information for making a BOMM. I have seen 1 gallon versions use 1 pack of Wyeast 1388 and I have also read a recommendation for 2 packs for a 5 gal batch.

I am wondering whether one could split 1 pack into 2 separate 1 gallon batches ? In other words, is 1/2 a pack of Wyeast 1388 sufficient for your standard BOMM for 1 gallon?

thanks in advance for your knowledge

I’m no expert, but from my understanding it’s possible, but why do you want to do so? Yeast is less than a dollar a pack where I live, so you’re not really saving any money by underpitching, and it could definitely lead to issues in fermentation. I think the answers you’ll get here will be similarly “yes but why?”. I think you’ll be much happier with the end result if you just pitch one packet per 1 gallon batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
I've used 1 pack for a 2 gallon batch, but I wouldn't try and extend it beyond that. The Wyeast smack packs are (for the most part) specific to using in beer brewing, where the starting gravities are usually less than 1.050. Where as most mead musts are around 1.100.

I will say that the quantity of yeast you use is not where you want to be cutting corners. Either learn how to make yeast starter or use dry yeasts.

https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Start/

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
I’m no expert, but from my understanding it’s possible, but why do you want to do so? Yeast is less than a dollar a pack where I live, so you’re not really saving any money by underpitching, and it could definitely lead to issues in fermentation. I think the answers you’ll get here will be similarly “yes but why?”. I think you’ll be much happier with the end result if you just pitch one packet per 1 gallon batch.

Yes, but his question was specific to Wyeast 1388, which is typically around $7/pack. Which doesn't include shipping if you can't get it from you local home brew store......

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
Wyeast is expensive to order and unavailable for me locally. I am trying to be cost effective for this specific yeast.

If my memory serves me right, Canadian Sasquatch recommended 2 wyeast packs for a 5 gal Bomm on his youtube comments. I am wondering if in theory 1 pack is more than enough for 1 gal and if it is theoretically and practically possible to split a pack for 2 separate 1 gal batches.

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
I used three packs for five gallons a while back and it worked well.

jwaldo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2016
Northern Virginia
Pop the smack pack and while you are waiting for it to swell, mix about 1/4 cup of honey into 1 liter of water with a pinch (say about 1/8 tsp) go-ferm and 1/4 tsp Fermaid-O (or K, or a little DAP). When the smack pack is ready, pour it into this starter, afix an air-lock, and put it on a stir plate for a couple of days or give it a nice swirl a couple of times a day for two days. You should have a very robust yeast starter at that point. I have found that 200ml of this per gallon yields a quick, strong starting and robust ferment. 1 liter would be enough for 5 gallons, easily, and I think 100ml/gallon would also work well. Bigger batch? Make a bigger starter. (It takes me a couple of days to get all my primary stuff together, water boiled, and etc., so no time lost.) YMMV.

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
I appreciate all your replies
Starters are still new to me....i'm wondering if there are threads or detailed reading material someone would recommend for understanding proper protocol for a starter for a 5 gal batch.
Your descriptions are awesome and I understand the basic concept of the starter, I'm just looking for more detail. Ideally I would like to understand enough to know whether a starter of wyeast 1388 is enough for a 5 gal BOMM. I would rather not used 2 smack packs, if I don`t need to, as they are pricey.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Really? Did you even read the 3rd post of your own thread? I gave you a link to making a starter, created by Mr. BOMM himself, Bray Denard. Can't get much more informative than that.....

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
Yes, I appreciate all the information and replies. I did indeed read it. I was looking for a bit more. It seems my search for more is possibly too much...

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Yes, I appreciate all the information and replies. I did indeed read it. I was looking for a bit more. It seems my search for more is possibly too much...

What more do you need? The BOMM starter is for a 5 gallon batch. Just about any other info you'll find on the Internet about starters, will be for beer brewing, using DME (Dry Malt Malt Extract) instead of honey and which uses a boiling process.

Have you tried looking on YouTube? There's a good 30 minute video about starters, using software app, called Mr. Malty, to determine how many cells you need and how large a batch to get the number of cells.

https://youtu.be/HEq3XS4k3dQ

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns