• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Quart Jars

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sgt Warden

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2018
Weekly update, ish~.

Bubble production is starting to slow. Although it is still there. A bubble every 30-45 seconds. Starting to clear though. I guess that is a good sign. Don’t know.

Haven’t tasted it yet. But the corner of the kitchen has a good yeast smell to it.
01738a9e944dcaa165480f49b0816102.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So no one cares about bubbles. What's your gravity? Are you just letting all the yeast suffocate each other? That's a great way to get off flavors��

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I rouse the yeast the entire duration. And usually for a few weeks after its over. This allows the yeast access to the honey, YAN and keeps them from over heating. I do this from day 1 until I'm ready to rack.

Sgt Warden

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2018
Rouse?

Thanks for the reply! Just not familiar with the way you are using this word. Just want some clarification. I’m trying not to be a total noob. It probably shows though.

Trenchie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2017
There's more to it than just "rousing" the lees/yeast. there is also degassing and oxygenating. the basic effort of stirring can provide all three. and except oxygenating, they should continue for the life of the ferment and beyond. you want to get oxygen in to the must in the earlier stages of ferment (lets say up to 1/3 sugar break), I do this with direct O2 application to the must after I have degassed and raised the lees. just stirring is not getting a lot in the must and serious shaking is getting some in there, but not to levels that the theory dictates as optimal. I then continue to stir twice daily to degas (aggressively?) and rouse the yeast through 2/3 sugar break. then, I degas and send the yeast back into suspension once daily through the rest of the ferment, i.e. down to 1.000. however, in this last stage, I try not to impart air into the must, stirring below the surface and not so aggressively that i force bubbles into the liquid. after the ferment is done, i.e. SG down at 1.000 or less (or darn near close), I will continue to stir to rouse the lees/yeast for a week or so, to let the whole process come to an easy, elongated settle. after that, which is possibly as much as 30 days into the process, I let the whole thing settle a few days and rack off for a long extended sit. then, by judgement, I'll eventually rack off again ... and again ... and again, each time leaving behind what settles.

so now, apply this to the small quarts you have; pick them up twice daily, take off the airlock, spin them around and around, to stir them up and keep the lees from settling too long. that is untill you have a 2/3 sugar break ... and so this is where the SG is important. bubbles are a very very loose indicator of where you are in the ferment. a small spoon to stir would also help, maybe even get more gas out. CO2 is the gas coming off and can concentrate in solution leaving the yeast with nothing to breath (suffocate).

well ... I think I'm mostly "correct" with this ... I also understand the timings to be a bit subjective and variable. so, your mileage may vary ... listen to Squatchy's Got mead radio casts. read earlier posts on plans and recipes (some of my posts have this, use the search feature, and/or go back through forum topics).

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Along with all that. I have a spray bottle anywhere there is mead in my house (all over the damn place). So I can shoot it any time I need to. Starsan.

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Rouse?

Thanks for the reply! Just not familiar with the way you are using this word. Just want some clarification. I’m trying not to be a total noob. It probably shows though.

Rouse. To keep suspended in the must.

Stir or shake to keep the must cloudy.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Sgt Warden

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2018
Ok. Since I have quart jars like Trenchie said, I just take the airlock off and shake. Pressure builds up and I slowly release it. Replace airlock.

I thought my fermentation period was about to come to an end. Slower bubble count and all. (No, I’m not paying a bunch of attention to bubbles) But the yeast is still producing gas, so they are still active.

The must has been almost still for about 2 weeks. I hope I haven’t done anything too bad.

I have been listening to the podcasts and have determined that the 10 grams of yeast that I used for the gallon was not too much.

Sgt Warden

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2018
Stopped by Yeastie Beastie and picked up a hydrometer and a test glass.

92c3361693dbfb0ba5a1c635b6d32ff1.jpg

Pretty close to being dry?

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Stopped by Yeastie Beastie and picked up a hydrometer and a test glass.

92c3361693dbfb0ba5a1c635b6d32ff1.jpg

Pretty close to being dry?

I assume that it is cometely floating.
Would be helpful.if you could clear the foam away and remember to give it a spin before checking to dislodge bubbles.

Looks like a smidge over 1.00 sp awfully close to complete.

Give it another week with stirring up the yeast. You should notice the top part starting to clear up on its own.

Sgt Warden

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2018
It is starting to clear. Big thick stuff on the bottom.

The hydrometer is floating. Did get a better reading later on with a second eye and she confirmed a below SG.

I have another set of quart jars I’m going to rack it off into Sunday or Monday. We will see how it goes. Might be later.

I hope it clears well.

Keep your fingers crossed. It has only been two weeks since I pitched it.

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
K woild rouse it for a other few days at the least.

Also before you rack to another jar I would suggest you put it in the fridge for a few days to a week. This will help a great deal more sediment settle out and minimize racking loses.

I know that the waiting is the hardest part but still.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
LOL.

Your correct about the racking losses. And then rack again and he might have 2 pours do save until later.

Sgt Warden

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2018
In the fridge?

Will that kill my yeast?

I plan on carbonating in the bottle.

This has only fermented for two weeks. Seems like a short time. I did pitch 10 grams of yeast in this gallon. Been listening to the podcasts and have heard it is recommended to over pitch. I hope this is not too over pitched.

I just started another batch with maple syrup. I pitched 10 grams in that as well. Hope I didn’t screw up.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
No. It doesn't kill the yeast but it slows them down so your mead will clear faster. Even after cold crashing and then racking off the lees you will still have enough yeast to crab your bottles. I would not think this is something to do (carb) unless you have more experience than what might be presented in this thread. It's pretty easy to mess this up unless you do it really right.

Sgt Warden

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2018
My yeast!

065c0f6968e64dc029b0262ec4aef3ac.jpg

This is from a batch I started a couple of nights ago.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns