• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Quick JAOM question follow-up

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mead_Monster

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey Guys and Gals,

I posted a question about my first batch back in Janurary and the responces were much appreciated. It has been a while so I thought I would start a new thread instead of trying to resurrect an old one.

I started my first JAOM on November 7 of last year. throughout the process I used a room heater to try and keep the ambient temp as constant as possible. However, I did not check the temp of the batch itself thinking that if the ambient temp stayed pretty constant, once the batch temp stabilized, it should stay within a few degrees +/-. While that sounds good in theory, at least to me, I am wondering if I should have done more to regulate the temp. The mead has has yet to clear.

In the previous thread some said that it may take up to 100 days to clear. It has now been 124 days! I used to work in a government lab so I know my measurements were precise. The only possible glitch that I can think of would be the variations in the ambient temperature of +/- 10 deg during the day.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to why the batch has not cleared? Should I bottle it anyway? An acquaintance who has made mead suggests a rack and cold crash to get it to clear. I am really scratching my head about this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
I would follow Mannye's recommendations (post #6 in your original thread). Cold crash and rack it. If it's not clear and you don't want to wait any longer, then use a fining agent. I'm a fan of Super-Kleer, but others like Sparkaloid.

Mead_Monster

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Darigoni!

I think I can squeeze out some time early this week before I go to visit my daughter and that feller she kinda likes. They keep talking about their future together but I don't know 'bout that. Anyway, a bottle of Dad's mead would make a nice birthday gift for her.

Appreciate the help.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns