• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BOMM melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
Looking for some guidance

I will be making a 5 gal BOMM following all standard protocol

Im wondering whether it is possible to start a BOMM in a 5 gal primary bucket and subsequently rack into five 1 gal jugs (each with different fruit). Is this practically not recommended due to the important degassing and aerating and its risk of overflow? When would one even rack? Basically i'm wondering if its possible to make multiple BOMM melomels from a 5 gal?

I hope my question is sensible. I know its recommended (at times) to add fruit on secondary when making melomel. I just don't know if this makes any sense for a BOMM and what the timing would be?

thanks in advance for your knowledge

D

Devin Petry-Johnson

I've never done a BOMM but from what I understand you can do this.

You asked about degassing and aerating. Did you mean in the 5 gallon primary bucket or in the five 1 gallon jugs? The main risk of overflow will be early in the primary fermentation. If you have 5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket, then yes, you should worry about overflow. A 6 or 6.5 gallon is recommended. Once you rack the mead into 5 jugs, you won't have much room left to add fruit. There might still be some fermentation taking place with the new sugars added from the fruit (unless you stabilize with sulfite and sorbate). But at that point you don't need to worry much about overflow, and not at all about aerating.

Have you considered modifying the recipe down to about 4 or 4.5 gallons, then you can split out to 5 jugs and have room for fruit?

EDIT: With regards to timing, I would recommend keeping it in primary until fermentation is complete (it reads 1.000 or lower on your hydrometer) and then racking.

AcadianKopite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2018
Sorry I wasn't specific. I will compensate for fruit volume addition either by bringing the initial volume down or for example I envision six 1 gal jugs to be sufficient for 5 gal + fruit.

For flavour buildup, once 1st racking is complete after reaching 1.000 or lower, any recommendations for how long to keep fruit on until secondary racking for a BOMM.

D

Devin Petry-Johnson

I’m no expert, but it probably depends on the fruit. Some people say as little as 10 days. Some say several weeks. Too long and the fruit can start taking on a “vegetal” flavor. Probably check it every other day and see how it smells/tastes.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
At some point I expect you will stop fermenting all together in carboys and swith over to buckets. At that point this will then become a non issue.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns