Thread: My 1 gal batch has stalled

Default My 1 gal batch has stalled

Hello all, my 1 gal batch has stalled out. After 5 weeks of bubbling then nothing my measurement was still at 1.135 or so. I have waaay too much honey in this batch with D47. I am going to add EC-1118 to get things going again. Any advice on what else to do is most appreciated!

My Social Networking

Visit Toxxyc's Youtube Channel

We need more info!

What recipe did you follow?
    What was your starting gravity?
    What is your fermentation temperatures?

1.135 is VERY high, even for a starting gravity. I would split this batch into at least two larger batches (add water to 2 gal) to dilute all the sugar in there. Not even 1118 will go through too much sugar.

Look up meadmaderight.com
    If you canít get fermaid O to follow TOSNA then your next best option is TiOSNA using fermaid K.
    Also watch your temps.
    What kind of water did you use?
    EC1118 is the most hardy of yeasts and best for stalked fermentations
    Please give us more info

The thing about restarting stalled fermentations is to upend the process. In other words, don't pitch the new yeast (even if it is a killer) into the problem batch. Proof your new yeast and add the stalled batch a little at a time to the active yeast, doubling the volume of the "starter" each time you know that the fresh batch is actively fermenting the stalled material. So it may take a day to transfer the entire batch from the stalled container to the container in which you have this "starter". This helps ensure that any systemic problem that may have caused the stall (and it may not simply be the concentration of sugar) is being "diluted" through the starter...Have I explained this so that it makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by bernardsmith View Post
    The thing about restarting stalled fermentations is to upend the process. In other words, don't pitch the new yeast (even if it is a killer) into the problem batch. Proof your new yeast and add the stalled batch a little at a time to the active yeast, doubling the volume of the "starter" each time you know that the fresh batch is actively fermenting the stalled material. So it may take a day to transfer the entire batch from the stalled container to the container in which you have this "starter". This helps ensure that any systemic problem that may have caused the stall (and it may not simply be the concentration of sugar) is being "diluted" through the starter...Have I explained this so that it makes sense?
    That may work and it may not based on my experience.
    If that approach doesnít work you would need to try the killer yeast method anyway

Thank you all for the advice. I posted earlier my recipe (Too much honey) but here is a quick breakdown. 5.1lbs honey various types, spring water, D47 5g, starting gravity 1.160. Temps were always between 66-68F, degassed the CO2 often. I started this batch (1 Gal) 1 March, by 31 March it was just 4 bubbles a minute. I let it sit for another 10 days to see if anything would happen taking gravity readings, they never went below 1.135. I read somewhere that EC-1118 was a good kick starter. I learned my lessen with the overkill of honey (long story there) but I was hoping to save this batch. It is very sweet and look good, it is just not finished yet.

Thank you for your replies, hope the quick recipe helps.

I donít see any mention of nutrients and if so were they staggered?

Oops, sorry forgot the nutrients. I used what came in the kit. It was Yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. I did stagger them a bit and that kept things going thru March.

You know how to rehydrate your use properly? Can you tell us what you did? That's very important a lot of people who have stalls stall out because they messed up the rehydration protocol and wounded or killed their yeast from the very beginning
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Ok
    So please read the newbie guide and check out meadmaderight for most up to date nutrient regimen.
    If you followed the kits instructions for nutrients and yeast pitching....
    Well there is th heart of the problem

If your rehydration protocol was good (see Squatchy's post above), and the only problem is too high a concentration of sugar (5+ lbs in a gallon is pretty concentrated) then one possible alternative solution is simply to dilute the mead with water. Take a pint or so and add a pint of spring water and see what happens. If fermentation restarts then you know what the problem is.

Well the yeast (D47) I rehydrated first, no clumps, stirred it let sit then added once I had shaken the must real well to add O2. I had added the nutrients, and yeast starter as the kits instructions listed. Everything was bubbling very well for several weeks. I have now transferred it to another new clean carboy leaving a decent amount of yeast on the bottom of the old one. I then activated the EC-1118 and added it, and it started to bubble like crazy for about six hours or so. Now it too is just putting along with around 5 bubbles per minute or so. Gravity had only dropped to 1.130. I will watch it and see if it continues and check the gravity, if the gravity is not dropping my last recourse is to split this batch, add more water and start it up again. Not really sure how to do that however, when splitting and adding water would I use new yeast (EC-1118 or D47 again) and nutrient? The bottom line for future batches is waay less honey. Thank you all for the tips, and advice. I am really learning a lot on this site.