FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Default First Yeast Pitched!

Made my very first two gallons of mead today! Super excited to see how it turns out. One is OG 1.100 and the other 1.086 as an experiment to see the difference between a dry and a medium. Should I let them both ferment for the same amount of time?

2. Default

You should let them ferment till both are complete. Depending on what yeast you used both will likely ferment to dry.
    You will likely end up with 2 dry meads of different alcohol content.

What yeast did you use?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Aaah fair enough, I suppose that's the point of experimenting I've used Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound. No one seems to know much about it so I'll just see what happens, I think!

I'm not seeing activity yet, but I think it's taken a little time to get up to 20C. We've suddenly had a warmer spell in the UK so the heating isn't on as much! haha

4. Default

My understandimg is that the super yeast compound is easily able to reach 16-18%.

You can always stabilize and backsweeten to get a med sweet product.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Even if both go dry, it's worth the tasting experience before you look at backsweetening to see how balanced your mead is dry at different alcohol levels!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

The stronger ABV requires more sweetness to achieve balance
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

not sure how, but my meads feel sweeter after 2 months of aging: I tested the last surviving bottle of the batch I bottled in early March on humans and it was totally different; in March it felt demi-sec, now it feels almost sweet (hydrometer shows 1.004), so you could keep at least one of them dry and see how it evolves, if you can bear leaving it alone for long enough

Quote Originally Posted by m0n5t3r View Post
    not sure how, but my meads feel sweeter after 2 months of aging: I tested the last surviving bottle of the batch I bottled in early March on humans and it was totally different; in March it felt demi-sec, now it feels almost sweet (hydrometer shows 1.004), so you could keep at least one of them dry and see how it evolves, if you can bear leaving it alone for long enough
    Yep, that happens. To me a dry mead seems to have a greater chance of tasting sweet than a dry wine. perhaps the floral character tricks me into perceiving it as sweet, maybe the lesser complexity meads generally have compared to wines makes it easier to detect the sweetness. Maybe my tendency to oak raises perceived sweetness... As a mead ages and some flaws get ironed out and more honey character returns to your mead it is much easier to detect sweetness
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz

I have read that over time one of the things that happens as things integrate is. Fructose get changed into glucose. Not sure if this is true. But it could be why things get sweeter, a little bit over time
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!