• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Crystalized Honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

Neal

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 11, 2018
NW Florida
Given a quantity of honey (3-lbs in this case) that has considerable crystallization (70% or more).

Is there any difference between the liquid and crystalized portions?
Is it necessary/beneficial to ensure the entire container is re-liquified before using a portion for must or starter?

Neal

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Nope, crystallized is fine. Even the freshest honey of some varietals can crystallize rather quickly. In some cases I'd suspect the beekeeper over-filtered the honey or cut it with lesser quality honey if it refuses to crystallize. I hate when a beekeeper reheats a honey before he sells it to me just so that it looks nicer. I'd tell him that if his honey is in the bucket and has crystallized he should hand it to me as it is and don't reheat it.
It doesn't any difference at all to the yeast if it's liquid or crystallized. Mixing your must thoroughly can help since it gives accurate gravity readings but if there are some clumps at the bottom of the carboy the yeast usually find it

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
What Stasis said :) I actually prefer measuring honey when it's crystallized, I find it far less messy, just means if you want an accurate SG, you have to do a little more stirring, although not as much as you might think, it generally doesn't take me all that much longer for a 5 gal crystallized honey must than to stir a 5 gal liquid honey must until there are no crystals showing up on my long-handled spoon... and if you want to make sure it's all dissolved by the time you take your SG, just stir it up a few hours ahead of when you plan to pitch it, then stir every hour or so till you pitch. If it was mostly dissolved when you first mixed it, it should be completely dissolved by the time you pitch.

m0n5t3r

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 24, 2018
Romania
a drill powered stirrer will dissolve it in 2-3 minutes even if it's in large solid chunks, and it helps with aeration as well :)

I remember reading that it can be hazardous for long term storage if the crystallized honey sinks and separates from the liquid one because the liquid honey will also hold the water expelled from the crystals, and if it gets too diluted it becomes vulnerable to bacteria / mold, but as far as mead goes it won't make a difference, you dilute it anyway :)

Neal

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 11, 2018
NW Florida
That helps. Allow me to clarify the question.

Is a partially crystalized quantity of honey analogous to a partially frozen... Coke - some of the water freezes while the more concentrated syrup remains liquid. Does honey separate (for lack of a better word) during crystallization?

The reason for the questions: Suppose I only need a portion of what's in the container of partially crystalized honey. Should the mess be warmed/liquified/stirred to redistribute any separation?

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
That helps. Allow me to clarify the question.

Is a partially crystalized quantity of honey analogous to a partially frozen... Coke - some of the water freezes while the more concentrated syrup remains liquid. Does honey separate (for lack of a better word) during crystallization?

The reason for the questions: Suppose I only need a portion of what's in the container of partially crystalized honey. Should the mess be warmed/liquified/stirred to redistribute any separation?

First smell it, then taste it -- if it smells/tastes off, then don't use it. (I have rarely encountered "off" honey, so it's probably fine.) I think recrystallizing it, mixing and then using what you need is a sound, and easy, approach. If the top has over-liquified (more than 18% water), then mixing the lot in may help prevent that for the portion that you don't use.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns