• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Failure to Start

Barrel Char Wood Products

Neal

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 11, 2018
NW Florida
I started a BOMM 6 May.
Trader Joe's Mostly Mesquite & Abbeye yeast.
Rehydrated with GoFerm.
Fermaid O & K added at pitch (no K2CO3 on hand).
Starting Gravity measured 1.093.
Oxygen added with 0.5-micron stone.
Repeated O2 every 12 hrs.

There has been no visible fermentation activity.
Today, gravity measures 1.100 (how does it go up?).

Have I killed my yeast?

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
Temperatures with rehydration and pitch? If the gravity goes up, it means you either are reading the hydrometer wrong, or you didn't mix the honey and water properly in the first place.

What volumes/weights did you use?

dingurth

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 23, 2012
Brooklyn , NY
The K2CO3 can be critical with BOMMs, I've had ferments crawl or stall because of ph, only to come alive when buffered. Check your ph or find some potassium carbonate or bicarbonate if you can.

How many grams of yeast did you use, and yes, how large of a batch?

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Temperature can have a small effect.

A decrease in must temperature will cause the S.G. to rise, but not nearly to the extent that you describe. For example, if the must is 78 degrees Fahrenheit when mixed and decreases to 60 degrees (assuming no fermentation), the S.G. will increase by about 0.002. S.G.'s should be normalized to a standard temperature, typically 60 degrees for most hydrometers, to get accurate ABV measurements. Consult the documentation that came with your hydrometer for its calibration temperature and correction factors.

I have to agree with Toxxyc's assessment.

m0n5t3r

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 24, 2018
Romania
In case you didn't boil / thermal or sugar shock your yeast by accident: my current batch (cyser with green apple juice) showed no activity after 24h, but had some thick-ish fluffy deposit on the bottom, so I thought I failed and aerated some more and added more yeast; at 48h there was a little bubbling and it took off like a rocket in the 3rd day; this was the longest lag phase I've seen so far (my previous meads started bubbling after 4-8h), and the first time I've used a stainless air stone, so I'm guessing it was due to better oxygenation; this might be your case as well, especially since you kept giving it oxygen every 12h.

Maybe leave it alone for another day or two, and then try pitching more yeast if it still doesn't start. Also, give the must a taste, you'll feel it if it's overly acidic.

Neal

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 11, 2018
NW Florida
It is a 1-gal batch, 5-g packet of Abbeye.
Rehydrated at about 100-F.
No boil, just a little warming bath to loosen up and stir the partially crystalized honey.
Room temp hangs around 69-70 - F.

And, of course, as soon as I asked the question, the must made me look silly.
it was bubbling slowly this morning (0500), and happily this evening at 1800 when I arrived home from work.
Gravity was down to 1.88.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
A decrease in must temperature will cause the S.G. to rise, but not nearly to the extent that you describe. For example, if the must is 78 degrees Fahrenheit when mixed and decreases to 60 degrees (assuming no fermentation), the S.G. will increase by about 0.002. S.G.'s should be normalized to a standard temperature, typically 60 degrees for most hydrometers, to get accurate ABV measurements. Consult the documentation that came with your hydrometer for its calibration temperature and correction factors.

I have to agree with Toxxyc's assessment.

That is such a small fraction out hydrometers can't even show us such a small demarcation. Totally useless in my estimation.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns