• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What to do with a watery mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Blakey

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Andover UK
Good morning all,
Last september I started a JAO, not my first, then racked in december to age (for a change). Noticed it is quite watery, flavours good but weak. Looking back I think I used too much water. Left for 6 months, still watery.

I am thinking of splitting it down to 1 gallon demijohns and experimenting with different ways to salvage this batch. Or should I just use it to blend another batch?

Any ideas appreciated.

Blakey.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
That's too little information. I don't know what the SG was and what type of honey was used. If the batch is way too watery because of SG (adding too much water) your best bet would be to blend it with new batches which you intentionally make much stronger. If the batch tastes watery because you used cheap honey perhaps it is best not to blend it especially if the new batch uses more expensive/authentic honey. Maybe use some (or all? I don't know how much you have) for topping off

Blakey

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Andover UK
That's too little information. I don't know what the SG was and what type of honey was used. If the batch is way too watery because of SG (adding too much water) your best bet would be to blend it with new batches which you intentionally make much stronger. If the batch tastes watery because you used cheap honey perhaps it is best not to blend it especially if the new batch uses more expensive/authentic honey. Maybe use some (or all? I don't know how much you have) for topping off

Sorry, I used 147.5 lbs of good quality, raw local honey. All honey in the uk, even the cheap stuff is 100% honey. I did not take any hydrometer readings, never do with a JAO. It is definately due to too much water as i used the markings on the fermenter instead of measuring out ( as i usualy do), and also filled to 25l instead of 23.

I have made several batches, both 1 & 5 gallon, of JAO, as well as other meads and never had a problem before.
It's a little grating that this is a schoolboy error on my part.

Blakey

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Andover UK
Sorry, I used 17.5 lbs of good quality raw local honey, which is very nice. We have the benifit in the UK that honey can only be honey, even the cheap stuff. I have made several batches of JAO, both 1 & 5 gallon batches, as well as other recipes. I did not take any hydrometer readings (never do with JAO).

I have realised that I used too much water initally. I used the markings on the side of the fermenter instead of measuring out (as I usualy do) and filled to 25L instead of 23L.

A little grating to think that my schoolboy error might have ruined it.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
17.5lbs in 25 liters should not make a watery mead if the honey was of a good variety and of good quality.

Quality rant:
I would never say that honey can only be honey even with the strictest regulations in place. Even the best laboratories find it difficult to be sure that honey is not tampered with in certain cases. Labels should be taken with some skepticism from my experience unless it says something undesirable about the honey. When it says something positive it could easily be a lie.

However, I was not even necessarily referring to authenticity of honey. Certain honey varietals have less taste than others. In general the lighter honey varietals are a bit more bland. For example I'm told clover honey is quite bland.
Perhaps it is tasting watery because the mead finished more dry than you are used to. It could still be of interest to take hydrometer reading even with Jaoms. Depending on your final gravity you might want to stabilize and backsweeten even though it goes against jaom guidelines. You might also want to add oak

Blakey

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Andover UK
Fair point about the honey, the local stuff I used is about medium on the strength of taste. I have used it before with good results. I made a 1 gallon batch at the same time (omitted the orange and added a little ginger) which turned out lovely.

I will check the FG as you suggest, I will be supprised if it did finnish dry though, as I have used the same bread yeast every time and it always finnishes fairly sweet. But anything is possible, I suppose bread yeast can be just as unpredictable as any yeast.
If it is dry I will back sweeten, also going to use some whisky oak chips, could be interesting.

Just as a thought, how about adding more honey and some wine yeast/nutrient to restart fermentantion. Would that be a thing, or a bad idea. Just spit balling.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Bread Yeast has an alcohol tolerance of around 11% - 12%.

A "normal" JAOM uses 3.5 lbs of honey in a 1 gallon batch, which means you would have an approx. SG = 1.126. If you use bread yeast, per the recipe, you will end up with a FG = 1.035 (approx).

17.5lbs in 25 liters has an approx. SG = 1.095. Bread yeast will eat most of the sugar and leave you with a FG=1.005 (approx).

That's a huge difference in leftover sweetness and is why you perceive it as being "watery".

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi Blakey - and welcome. By "watery" , what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that it provides no sense of alcohol or do you mean that it goes down like water and does not sorta kinda coat your mouth? If the former and your mead fermented dry-ish then it should be about 12% ABV. That ain't Tallisker but it's not a session beer either. Did you take a gravity reading? That should tell you how close to its potential ABV it reached. Bread yeast can hit 12% with no problem, I think.
If the latter then that is all about "mouthfeel" and mouthfeel is all about viscosity. And viscosity is improved in several ways - Some yeast, for example, are noted for their ability to produce "glycerols" which make a wine (or mead) more viscous (viscous - not vicious :rolleyes:) But you can increase viscosity by adding glycerin and if the mead is very dry by stabilizing the mead and adding more honey (or sugar)

Blakey

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Andover UK
Hi all.

Thanks for all the replies, quick update.

I have just taken a gravity reading 1.003, so it finished dryer than I am used to. Having just tasted it again, it is not as bad as I thought. I don't think it helped that last time I had also tasted my other mead, which is sweet, before this one.

It is lacking some viscosity, but the taste is quite good.

I think I will split this down into 1-gallon batches and do the following:

1. One I will leave as is, for another 6 months.
2. One will be lightly back sweetened.
3. One back sweetened and whisky oak added.
4. One just whiskey oak added.
5. Last one ill use glycerin.

Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Thanks again, everyone.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Any news? I'm curious about the glycerin. there is also a product on the market called "wine conditioner" or something like that that is specifically formulated to help with mouthfeel. Actually, wine conditioner is usually a back-sweetening product that contains sugar and sorbate. I'm thinking about something else...

Here it is...

https://morewinemaking.com/products/liquigum.html

Blakey

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Andover UK
Hi all, update time.
I back sweetened two demijohns, both to 1.014, which worked out fine, then added 1oz of whisky oak chips to one of them. Left to infuse for 2 weeks. One was oaked for the same amount of time, but not back sweetened. One had a couple of drops of Glycerin. Last one has been left alone.

The back sweetend one is just where I wanted it and the back sweetend with the oak is better than I expected. Will be using oak again.

The one that was just oaked, I think, is my favourite, really good flavour.

Lastly the glycerin, did just what it said on the tin, added a bit of body, no discernable effect on taste.

All will now be left until Christmas until I bottle.

Sorry there is no deep and meaningful tasting notes, not my strong point. If it tastes nice, I like it, simple.

Totally looking forward to Christmas this year.

Thanks again everyone who commented.

Blakey.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
You might find that the tannins extracted from the oak will provide more mouthfeel too, as does a sweeter finish: the more unfermented sugar, the thicker (more syrupy) the mead will taste.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
There are several SIY additions that you can add to your me that will increase mouth volume romeu complexity and structure. You can find those in the Scots laboratory hand book I've used all of them that I know of and they all were quite nicely

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns