• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

first of 4

Barrel Char Wood Products

solver

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
4 1-gallon carboys
1 at 1.150- 1 at 1.155- d47 yeast
1 at 1.150- 1 at 1.145- 71b yeast
1/3 nutrients and energizer add at start up
mixed yeast in 1 cup water each and waited 30 mins then pitched- did not temper yeast(my bad) but must room temp

made yesterday at 8:00 am
shake 2 times yesterday
went down and swirled jugs today and the 71's came blasting out the bubbler top
d47s just a few bubbles
1---should I still add nutrients and energizer to 71's as afraid they will blow their tops if just a few swirls make them blow
2---hardly any bubbles on d47's unless I swirl them pretty hard-- temp in basement about 66
Do I just add nut and energizer and hope for best or do I add 71-b yeast to this 2 carboys also
3--When adding nutr and energizer do I mix in small amount of water and pour in or do I just spoon it in the top

thanks-1st time and excited about process

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
How much was 1/3 nutrient?

Be careful. I've ruined a batch by adding too much. If the yeast don't eat it, you will be drinking it.

solver

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
How much was 1/3 nutrient?

Be careful. I've ruined a batch by adding too much. If the yeast don't eat it, you will be drinking it.

1 tsp per gallon(4)nutr mixed with 1/2 tsp per gallon (4) energizer divided into approximate 1/3's first 1/3 added at start

maybe I will wait on the 71b bottles as yeasties (wait a day or 2) seem happy and just add to d47 bottles
do i add wet or dry?

solver

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
ok added another 1/3 of mix to d47's and just left 71's bubbling
1 --since I lost some mead in the overflow this morning can i just top off with a little water
2 --if i can't even gently swirl without explosion how do I degass or do I just wait a bit till bubbling slows

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
What is your goal with these, as your starting gravities are kind of high? It would have been better to start off with an SG less than 1.120 and either added some honey later in the fermentation (called step feeding) or waited until it was done fermenting, stabilized, and then added more honey (backsweetening)

Both D47 and 71b have a stated alcohol tolerance of 14%. So, if it goes as planned, you will end up with final gravities greater than 1.045, which is on the high end of what is considered sweet.

solver

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
I love a sweet mead, kind of hate the higher alcohol but every bottle I have ever bought that I tried to backsweeten just didn't taste right when I was done
don't want cloying but anything less than that is great

solver

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
also having never done this before I wasn't sure how much I would lose when I rack it off
guessing 1/4-1/2 cup each gallon
assuming I could just top off headspace after racking with extra water?
which would also lower gravity, hopefully not to much--any ideas on that

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
1 tsp per gallon(4)nutr mixed with 1/2 tsp per gallon (4) energizer divided into approximate 1/3's first 1/3 added at start

maybe I will wait on the 71b bottles as yeasties (wait a day or 2) seem happy and just add to d47 bottles
do i add wet or dry?

That sounds extremely high. That stuff tastes awful, so you don't want any that does not get consumed.

Check out this very useful tool: https://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/
Note that the amount of nutrient the batch builder recommends is the total for the batch. If you are planning on three nutrient additions, you will need to divide the recommended amount by three.

solver

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
ken 2029 not sure if I am off on measurements or didn't explain dosages well
1 tsp of nutrient per gallon-Total --means I am adding 5 grams per gallon total = 1.6 grams per dosage if split in 3 doses
does this still sound like to much

Ken2029

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2015
ken 2029 not sure if I am off on measurements or didn't explain dosages well
1 tsp of nutrient per gallon-Total --means I am adding 5 grams per gallon total = 1.6 grams per dosage if split in 3 doses
does this still sound like to much

No. That sounds right. I thought you were adding that amount three times. I recently did exactly that and it did not go well.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
You backsweeten store bought meads from commercial meaderies? But the meadery is supposed to have researched and created a recipe that balances the flavors and and so simply adding more sweetness might not make it taste better for you even if you like sweet meads because the taste would be out of balance. Ideally you would find meads which are already sweet and I'm pretty sure there are many of those out there.
I emphasize that what darigoni said about high starting gravity is very important

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns