• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

help my mead stinks

Barrel Char Wood Products

caleb.diede

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2018
so about a month ago i dissolved 1 cup of sugar into about 3/4 the volume of two powerade bottles and i added some bread yeast poked holes in the top and left for a month i siphoned out the liqued and left the solids in the bottom but it stinks really bad my first question is where did i go wrong and my second question is what i made safe to drink.

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
OK so let's start. You didn't make mead. Mead is made with honey, not sugar. What you made is a very crude alcohol usually only fit for distilling. It will have no taste, no body and no mouthfeel.

Secondly, you probably did not follow any sanitary protocols, so chances are that solution you pitched the yeast in was not clean - at all. That means there's probably an infection in there, which would explain the smell.

Thirdly, it may be safe to drink, but I would not. It will taste like it smells, which won't be good at all. I would toss it away.

Lastly, to mimic one of our local "experts", I would recommend you listen to the GotMead Podcasts with Ryan Carlson. They can be found here: http://gotmead.com/blog/gotmead-live-radio-show/page/3 These podcasts will guide you through the process of making proper mead.

In short, you did absoluteley nothing right, and that's fine, since it's your first attempt. Don't make that mistake again - do proper research and homework and you'll soon make VERY good meads in very short periods.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I don't understand why you would ask where you went wrong when it seems you did absolutely no research. I'm amazed it was easier for you to sign up to these forums and ask a question rather than do some google searches, searches on these forums, or even read the newbee guide linked at the top of the forums.
You have to read up a lot more so that next time we could pinpoint the flaws. A it is there is no use for us to offer tips because we would be repeating the whole guide

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns