FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: Is it normal?

1. Default Is it normal?

Is it normal for a must to drop nearly .08 points in under a week? I started my 2nd batch of buckwheat mead last Tuesday evening. It started at 1.081 and is now at 1.003. I was wanting to stop it around 1.015-1.020 with an ABV of around 8%. I didn't think it would ferment so quickly.

Thanks.

That is not unusual. Getting a fermentation to stop where you want it to, without cold crashing, is unusual.
    Age improves with mead, even more than mead improves with age.

3. Default

Thanks. I was planning on cold crashing so that I wouldn't have to back sweeten and keep the ABV below 10.

That doesn't work. As soon as it warms up it starts right back up. Even when cold it continues to ferment slowly
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    That doesn't work. As soon as it warms up it starts right back up. Even when cold it continues to ferment slowly
    I think the yeast should eventually stop at least some times. But when they stop is very tricky and depends on the temp of the fridge, the volume of the must, the thickness of the yeast cake at the bottom of the fermenter, the yeast variety, the vigor of the ferment, the yeast health...
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz