FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: adding vanilla beans

1. Default adding vanilla beans

i added vanilla beans to my cherry mead in secondary about a week ago.. i basically slit the beans open down the middle, did not actually chop them in 2 pieces.. i woke up this this morning wondering if i should fish them out and actually cut them in half to extract more flavor. anyone know if this will make a difference?

2. Default

I think the difference is mainly going to be how long it is in there. Lots of small pieces will infuse faster but I think if you just leave it you'll be fine and better off than trying to pull it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In the future you might want to think about marinating the beans in some vodka for 2 to 4 weeks, then dumping everything into your mead. It not only sanitizes the beans, but will extract a ton of flavor.

4. Default

yea, im already planning on doing that for my chamomile vanilla mead which is next on my list. now, im just curious how long i gotta let it sit in secondary to extract the flavor from my bean slit

Quote Originally Posted by darigoni View Post
    In the future you might want to think about marinating the beans in some vodka for 2 to 4 weeks, then dumping everything into your mead. It not only sanitizes the beans, but will extract a ton of flavor.
    If you make an extract with vodka what is the benefit of adding the beans to your mead with the extract 4 weeks later . Presumably the vodka has extracted all the flavor there is to extract. Are you simply adding the beans to the mead because it is easier to dump the whole shebang than remove the beans?

Quote Originally Posted by bernardsmith View Post
    If you make an extract with vodka what is the benefit of adding the beans to your mead with the extract 4 weeks later . Presumably the vodka has extracted all the flavor there is to extract. Are you simply adding the beans to the mead because it is easier to dump the whole shebang than remove the beans?
    Yes, and why would I want to throw out a bean that is saturated with flavor/aroma?

That being said, I never really gave it that much thought.