FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!
  1. Default Noon cleaning concerns

So I have about 2.5 gallons of honey and decided I would try my hand at some mead. I had a guy I work with offer me his fermentation bucket and carboy incase I decided brewing wasn't for me I wouldn't be out too much money. I bought a wine whip, airlock, bungs, nutrients, energized, yeast, and starsan. When he brought me his containers they had been set outside to dry and left for some time under a birch tree. The bucket had some black stuff inside and all over the inner part of the lid. Idk if it is mildew or something from the tree. I removed gaskets and cleaned everything with 1 step cleanser and plan to use starsan before brewing. The bucket seems to have some staining from w.e this substance wash would the cleaning I gave it be sufficient or should I avoid using it? Sorry for the long winded post over what may be a simple question but I wanted to provide accurate information.

How about filling the bucket with a water a bleach mixture and letting it soak for several hours? You'll need to do extra rinsing afterwards, but if the stain are still there after that I'm not sure I would use it. That being said, mead making is little more forgiving than beer making.....

3. Default

I will try that. I can't say 100% stains are from the black stuff though I assume they are. He made wine in the bucket previously

There are different bleach to water ratios, depending on whether you are cleaning, disinfecting or sanitizing. I would use 3/4 to 1 cup per gallon of cool water and let it sit for a couple of hours. Be careful about splashing and make sure you rinse thoroughly.

I think most of us use a product called ( "PBW"). it is a caustic cleanser and chews away stuff like this. Once it's done it's magic you need to use Start san or similar to rinse away the film.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

6. Default

With pbw should I not allow it to have contact with the rubber seals or would it not effect them?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuman View Post
    With pbw should I not allow it to have contact with the rubber seals or would it not effect them?
    "Soak equipment overnight in PBW solution; rinse the following morning - no scrubbing required! Will not damage rubber gaskets, soft metals, or your skin. PBW ..."

8. Default

Thank you for the reply. I soaked it in bleach water and used a q-tip to get into the sight groves along the lid. Everything looks good now. I'll clean it again with the 1step cleanser I was given and then sanitize again with starsan. But next time I make trip to the brew shop I'll look for the PBW for future use. Thanks again for the help.