• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Mead, few questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

Schuman

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2018
Hopefully this is the correct area. My goal is a sweet mead, plan on a 5 gal batch and might try to add fruit flavor to part of it in secondary but that is TBD. My plan for recipe goes like this

4 gal spring water
18.4lbs of honey (or until 1st is around 1.129)
Lavlin D47 yeast (4 packs)

I plan to rehydrate yeast in spring water, then pitch into well agitated must when temperatures are within 10 degrees of each other. I used a mead calculator and it should put the final gravity around 1.025 if all goes well.
I HAVE yeast nutrient and energizer but they are LD CARLSON brand from friar tucks and I'm not sure how to use them in comparison to the sna schedule I see using fermaid k and DAP. If anyone has experience with this brand please feel free to chime in otherwise I figure the recommended dose of each split into 4 increments every 24hrs would be close? The other question would be I read D47 has a short lag phase, should I add nutrients before the 24hr mark in that case? Hopefully this isn't too hard to follow or out of format. Thank you in advance for any help/recomendations.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
It's hard to say with generic stuff as they won't tell you whats in it. THat's why we use the other products. I suggest to never feed anything until you see it has moved out of the lag phase and into the growth phase.

Schuman

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2018
Yea that's what I figured but was hoping maybe someone had more information than me on it. If and when I do another batch I'll try to order fermaid online since it's not sold local. And thank you I'll monitor it and when I see it moving into the next stage I'll add my first dose.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Yea that's what I figured but was hoping maybe someone had more information than me on it. If and when I do another batch I'll try to order fermaid online since it's not sold local. And thank you I'll monitor it and when I see it moving into the next stage I'll add my first dose.

Sorry we can't tell you how much to use. That's the problem with that stuff. We don't know what values are in it. I wouldn't use the energizer at all personally. Just the nutrient as it will already have energizer in it.

Schuman

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2018
Thank you for the response. Just an update it's a little past 1/3rd sugar break already (if I did it right) so looks like it is going ok. We will see if it was enough nutrient or not going just off the recommended dosage on bottle split into 4 doses.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns