FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: Just a quick recipe check

1. Default Just a quick recipe check

Hello!

I am a new aspiring mead maker from Sweden. So i'm soon to make my first batch of mead. I have brewed some beer before but never mead, however i have done a lot of reading lately and this is what i think will be my first batch. Aiming to make a split batch, traditional and peach ginger. My planned recipe is as follows. I'm not quite sure on the honey and water amounts since i can't wrap my head around if the mead calculators target volume is batch size or water added.

Batch nummer: #1
    Brew Date – xx/xx/xx
    Batch Size – 10 liter
    Honey Varietal – Wildflower. Sourced from my girlfriends mother who is a new beekeeper.
    S.G. goal – 1.096 according to the mead calculator
    %ABV goal – 12.7 according to the mead calculator
    Final gravity should from what i understand be around 1.000 according to
    http://gotmead.com/blog/recipe/brays...-aka-the-bomm/

Ingredients:
    2.25 kg honey
    7.5 Liters water
    About 3 Kg peaches. Starting weight. I will pit, split and freeze.
    Absout 50-100g ginger. Not finding any good guideline.
    1 pack och Wyeast 1388
    3 tsp fermaid K
    1,5 tsp DAP
    0,5 tsp potassium carbonate
    Pectic enzyme
    oak?

Standard BOMM protocol with SNA, degassing and such. Will aim for a room temp around 20-22 celsius for fermentation. When racking after the first week or so i will rack half batch on to the peaches and ginger to sit on it for about 2 weeks, here i will also ad some pectolase(pectic enzyme). The other half i will rack straight to an empty jug. I have also been thinking about adding some french and american oak to both batches.

Any thought on this right away or anything that seems wrong? Will one pack of yeast be enough?

2. Default

Welcome to GotMead!

I did a bit of playing with the batch calculator and I think you might need more honey to hit an S.G. of 1.096. I selected "Target Volume" and "Additional Sugars #1". Assuming the info I found online was correct, 2.25 kg honey would take up about 1.6 L in volume. Adding that to your 7.5 L of water gives a total batch size of ~9.1 L so I put that as the target volume. In the sugars tab, I entered in 2.25 kg for the honey. The batch calculator predicts that you'll have an O.G. of 1.074 and around 10% potential ABV. If you used 3.3 to 3.4 kg honey you'd have a gravity around 1.100. Alternatively, you could add less water and aim for a total batch volume of 6.75 L using 2.25 kg honey and ~5 L water to have the same gravity. If you have a hydrometer, that'll be your best tool to help you hit your target gravity.

I used BrewersFriend yeast pitch rate calculator to check if one pack of yeast was enough. It seems like you'd benefit from pitching a second pack of yeast or making a starter to increase the initial cell count.

I can't speak to the fruit, ginger, or oak additions. My one mead with ginger in it isn't done yet, and I added the ginger to the must right from the start. I used a piece the size of my thumb, but time will tell if it was too much or not enough. I haven't done a melomel with fruit yet nor have I played with oak. I want to do a barrel fermentation but alas, the darn things are expensive!

My Social Networking

Visit Cobrac's Youtube Channel

Hej,

I’m from Sweden also, I will keep it in English though, due to forum standards. I think your recipe looks solid. But I would recommend two packs of yeast to that gravity with that volume. One pack contains 100billion cells and usually mazers keep a bit higher number. You will probably get your mead anyhow, but you are almost at that strains peak ABV. Therefore I would say 2 packs to avoid any stalling. Check pH if you have possibility. Honey is, believe it or not, acidic. I wouldn’t go any lower than pH 3,5. You can get some serious fart smell on that yeast a few days into fermentation, not to worry just degas daily at let sit for a few weeks when done and the problem will go away.

My Social Networking

And if you have possibility to aerate with pure o2 at pitch, 12h and 24h after pitch that will help a lot.

My Social Networking

Ginger can be tricky, I would start with maximum 50gr and add up later. It can overwhelm all other flavors.

A hint of ginger would be 1 ounce (28 grams) of skin on ginger per gallon (3.8 liters). Since peaches are a really hard flavor to concentrate, I would suggest starting there. You can always add more. Can’t take it back.

Also, if you can get Fermaid O, you should use my new SNA here: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/...ne-month-mead/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Better brewing through science!

Welcome to the forums. I think you've gotten some good advice so far. Oak will probably help (I think it does for most meads). Good luck! Also, don't get frustrated if your posts take a while to appear on the forums. I think that is common for new members.
    Raisins are NOT nutrients for yeast... but french fries ARE!

8. Default

Thank you all for your advice. I will definitely go with the new fermaid O SNA-protocol instead. I had not seen that version on your site, thank you! @loveofrose.

As for the ginger i will take you guys advice and start with 30g.

For the water and honey amount i will just stop making it harder than it has to be for the first run and use the 1 gallon BOMM recipe multiplied by 2.

Regarding the pitching rate i might as well have to use 2 packs then if 1 just isn't enough. I feel like i would like to avoid a starter during the first run.

Mainly just waiting for the temperature to cool down a bit now so i can get going.

My Social Networking

Follow curgoth On Twitter Add curgoth on Facebook

Peaches are challenging. The skins are pretty tannic, so you may want to consider skinning half of them, or adding the skins back in later to add some tannins for mouthfeel and to balance out sweetness.