FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!
  1. Question Raspberries pushing out the airlock

Second time trying to post this, first time didn't seem to stick.

recipe: 3.4lbs honey
    1gal water
    1 pkg Lalvin D47 yeast.
    4 cups raspberries.
    OG was 1.112

After making the mead the raspberries float to the top blocking the outgassing, causing the airlock and stopper to pop out.
    How can I prevent this from happening or should I just rack this into a separate container already. It's been less than 24hours.
    I did leave around 3 inches of air gap between the Must and top of the carboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah_Monkey View Post

1gal water
    1 pkg Lalvin D47 yeast.
    4 cups raspberries.
    OG was 1.112

After making the mead the raspberries float to the top blocking the outgassing, causing the airlock and stopper to pop out.
    How can I prevent this from happening or should I just rack this into a separate container already. It's been less than 24hours.
    Most of us ferment in buckets and then move to glass close to the end of the ferment.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

1gal water
    1 pkg Lalvin D47 yeast.
    4 cups raspberries.
    OG was 1.112

When I ferment in carboys I use ones which are twice as big as the batch, or more. The carboy should be at least half empty for me. I ferment ~27 liter batches in 54 liter carboys. Once ferment is over and the racking is done the batch will fit in a 25 liter carboy with some left over for topping up. The 27 liters are approximate: melomels have more lees, traditionals less. Fermenting in the right sized carboy rather than one much larger does not make sense even if it's possible because if the carboy is full you can't really stir up the lees or degas easily. And eruption (meas) possibilities. You will also end up with too much head space after you rack
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz

My Social Networking

Follow Mazer828 On Twitter Add Mazer828 on Facebook Add Mazer828 on Google+
    Visit Mazer828's Youtube Channel

The only solids I intentionally put into the carboy are oak. #lessonslearned

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Then glory in battle to Hrothgar was given, waxing of war-fame, that willingly kinsmen obeyed his bidding, till the boys grew to manhood, a numerous band. It burned in his spirit to urge his folk to found a great building, a mead-hall grander than men of the era ever had heard of, and in it to share with young and old all of the blessings the Lord had allowed him, save life and retainers." - Beowulf

5. Default

Lesson learned. I wanted to start small since this was my first time, but if I make another Melomel I'm going to get a fermenting bucket.

6. Default

I'm new to this and thought to have that much air was bad for the Must.

I actually ferment most of my stuff in 10-gallon plastic trashcan type fermenter vessels. The lids don't even snap on tight. The snap in a way that they won't fall off. But it's nowhere near close to sealed. And I wouldn't even want it to be. Your yeast eats O2 like crazy during fermentation. When I aerate with pure O2, my saturation addition is gone within the hour. So it serves us to our favor. I keep them this way until they get around 1020 or so before I move them over to glass carboys. And then I lock them up with an airlock.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

8. Default

I'm new to this and thought to have that much air was bad for the Must.
    When the yeast first get started, they actually need oxygen. Its after they slow down/finish that you'll want to become paranoid about oxygen. I don't install an airlock for 4-7 days and I don't worry about headspace until I rack for secondary fermentation.
    My complete mead log can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
    When I ferment in carboys I use ones which are twice as big as the batch, or more. The carboy should be at least half empty for me. I ferment ~27 liter batches in 54 liter carboys. Once ferment is over and the racking is done the batch will fit in a 25 liter carboy with some left over for topping up. The 27 liters are approximate: melomels have more lees, traditionals less. Fermenting in the right sized carboy rather than one much larger does not make sense even if it's possible because if the carboy is full you can't really stir up the lees or degas easily. And eruption (meas) possibilities. You will also end up with too much head space after you rack
    Oops, I meant metheglins have more lees, not melomels. I never fermented fruit in a carboy, just juice.
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz