• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Brand new, need help

Barrel Char Wood Products

jjpat1996

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2018
Hey guys, I'm brand new to mead making and am fixing to start my first batch here in a couple of days. I'm going to start with a cyser. I'm using regular apple juice instead of cider and am wondering what types of spices I should add in, other than cinnamon and cloves, if any?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Hi JJ,
Welcome to GotMead!!
Spices are a wide open topic. It really comes down to personal preference, but generally less is more. Go light with the spices as you can easily over-do it. Remember you can always add more, but you can't easily take it back out. A bit of cinnamon and clove can work well with a cyser.

Also, check your apple juice to make sure it doesn't have preservatives that will inhibit the yeast.

If you post up what you are planning for a recipe I'm sure folks here can help to make sure you get off to a good start.

-Medsen

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hiya jjpat1996 - and welcome, If you have good quality apple juice and you have an interesting tasting honey then I am not sure that your cyser NEEDS any spices. However, if you mix the honey with the juice and you ferment this must then you can taste the result and decide then whether your cyser needs something to improve or change the flavor. You can then add spices to the secondary and so be in a better position a) to extract the flavor - the alcohol being able to extract flavors more effectively than water (the must) and b) to extract the spices when the alcohol has extracted as much (or as little ) of the flavor as you are looking for. Adding spices to the primary makes it a little more difficult for you to remove the mead from the spices or the spices from the mead in a timely manner.

The Ghost of Thom Jones

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 24, 2018
Portlandia
docs.google.com
In terms of what spices, the options are limited only by your imagination. However, some spices seem to play very nicely with apples. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice have a warm spicy flavor that seems to counterbalance tart and sweet flavors well. I'd also imagine that toasted oak and apples would play well together.

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Along the lines of what has already been suggested, I might recommend making a large batch without spices first. Then divide the results as you wish into separate smaller containers, and experiment. Put spices in a clean sterilized mesh bag, and steep. Taste regularly until the level of spice notes is where you want it. Then remove. The benefit is variety, learning to taste subtlety, and if you make something you don't like, you haven't made a whole batch of it!

Take good notes throughout, and enlist the help of other tasters to give you feedback, and record their impressions as well.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns