• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Session recipe!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Thompsoncentre

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Hello all, I’m writing from Nova Scotia Canada and am new to the mead scene! Recently bought some bee’s for making my mead! Have made a few with not the results I’m after.. so I’m going to get to the point and tell you exactly what I’m after and hope someone can help me out..
I want a recipe that is quick and ends in around 6-8% alcohol.. once finished I would like to flavour it. And then throw it in the keg for carbonation.. I’ve tried a few mead mojito’s with not great success. So my plan is to have a mead finish off then add mint, or mint extract with lime. And don’t want it to sweet, My recipes I’ve been using are very basic including honey water yeast and yeast energizer. But comming out too sweet if I cold crash to stop fermentation at my 6-8% or way to strong if I let it go..
Some help would be awesome!

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
So have you tried to start with only enough honey to reach 6-8% if it goes dry. After that stabilize and back sweeten to taste then carbonate in your keg.

Seems like this would be a successful strategy and give you better control of both ABV and sweetness.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Thompsoncentre

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Thanks for the reply!
Well that was my next attempt. As you all know honey is very valuable and Ive wasted to much at this point. Would you have a recommendation of how much honey to add to end with that low of percentage?
Thanks again!

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Thanks for the reply!
Well that was my next attempt. As you all know honey is very valuable and Ive wasted to much at this point. Would you have a recommendation of how much honey to add to end with that low of percentage?
Thanks again!

Learn how to use the gotmead batch calculator. The link for it is at the top of the web page. You need to pick two of the categories. Sounds like you'll want to check off and enter data for batch size and target gravity (enter in data for ABV). It will then tell you how much honey you'll need. The sugar content of honey is varies, but it should be close. You should also have a hydrometer, which should not only have the scale for specific gravity, but also have one for potential ABV.

Thompsoncentre

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Oh thanks for the tip! I found in the mean time 1 pound will make 4.99% alcohol for a 1 gallon batch. So I will make the same recipe. 1 pound honey. Water yeast an energizer. I have been using d47. Do you guys reccomended another yeast?
Once done bubbeling and SG is met I will rack off and then add my flavours to taste before kegging. Anyone see an issue with this or any tips to make this better?

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Never used D47 but it is said to add to mouthfeel which is usually lacking in a low ABV mead. However it also has a reputation for producing harsh fussel alcohols if fermented over about 18 C.

Keep it reasonably cool during fermentation and it should be good.

I also like DV10 for the added mouthfeel.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi Thompsoncenter - and welcome. One and a half pounds of typical honey when mixed with water to make a US gallon will increase the gravity of the water to about 1.052 (+/-) and if that amount of honey is fully fermented then you have a mead with about 7% alcohol by volume.

Thompsoncentre

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2018
Thanks so much for the reply guys.. so the simple recipe I have planned to make using honey, water, yeast and yeast energizer sounds good to everyone? Is there anything else I should add? Or just start of with this for now?
Again thanks for the reply’s

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Thanks so much for the reply guys.. so the simple recipe I have planned to make using honey, water, yeast and yeast energizer sounds good to everyone? Is there anything else I should add? Or just start off with this for now?
Again thanks for the reply’s

If you spend the time to learn to make a good traditional this will raise the bar for every other mead you would ever make in your life. Some might not think traditionals are sexy enough. Even if that's your feeling, It is still the best mead to learn with as there is nowhere for your flaws to hide. So you are left standing looking in the mirror naked so to speak. If you want to get good at making mead. Just stick with trads until you have the science down. You will be much further along, in the long run, doing this.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Totally agree with Squatchy on this. But I would make a small change to your "basic recipe". In place of "energizer" look for yeast nutrient. Something like Fermaid O or Fermaid K. Nutrient contains all the key organic compounds and elements that yeast need (and which honey lacks) but energizer only has some. It's more like the equivalent of a shot of coffee than a fully balanced diet.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns