FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Default Cold crash & age on lees?

Hey all- I didn't think this through so well - I started with a must ten sg points over my target ABV (of 10%) with the intention of cold crashing and adding sorbate and SO2 to arrest the fermentation and retain 10 points of residual sugar. I was thinking I'd also rack off the gross lees before adding the SO2 and sorbate. BUT (the part I forgot) also I want to age on the lees!

So my question is do you think sorbate and SO2 and racking off the gross lees after the cold crash (and maybe aging at a cool temp) will be sufficient to keep the fermentation stopped while leaving the batch to age on the rest of the lees for a few months?!

I have two 1.75 gal batches made with OB honey, og 1.087, one with D47 one with CY3079, GoFerm at rehydration and followed Travis Blount-Elliott's SNA protocol. Temp 64F. Each have 1 lb of pears added at 1.052sg. The CY3079 is now at 1.012 and is ready to cold-crash. The D47 is fermenting very slowly... (which I might ask about in another post).

Thanks!

I seriously doubt you can stop them. I guess time will tell. Make sure not to age with the rough/course lees on board. Stir everything back into suspension and let it sit overnight and then rack off the stuff that has settled.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

If you cold crash it and rack off the gross lees, you’ll have a higher likelihood that the sorbate and sulfite will keep the fermentation suppressed. You can then use a fine lees battonage protocol and get a great lees-aged character from D47.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Thank you Medsen and Squatchy for your help- I decided to let the pear batches ferment to dry to age on the lees with less complications (I'll still rack off the gross lees to age though), but I'm cold-crashing a third batch at 1.050 to use for blending some sugar back in later. I'll filter the sweet batch best I can then stabilize.

Will a 1 micron filter filter out the yeasts?!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Thank you Medsen and Squatchy for your help- I decided to let the pear batches ferment to dry to age on the lees with less complications (I'll still rack off the gross lees to age though), but I'm cold-crashing a third batch at 1.050 to use for blending some sugar back in later. I'll filter the sweet batch best I can then stabilize.

Will a 1 micron filter filter out the yeasts?!

Thanks again!
    No. YOu need to go to .45 micron absolute to get them
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!