Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

My Social Networking

Add 4give on Facebook

Default Infected Traditional???

Hey folks!
    I started a 6 1 gallon (glass carboys) batches Dec 2017 to start off my mead making adventures. So far, I'm sort of pleased with how 2 have turned out after bottling 4 of them. The other 2 are likely drinkable. I have/had 2 Trads left to bottle this month after bulk aging. Before I get to the Trads...
    I did a ton of studying (including Squatchy's pod casts, which doesn't mean I necessarily understood those exactly as he intended), writing down steps, etc., before even fermenting anything. I started all yeast with goferm, and used ferm o for nutrients at TOSNA standards. All fermentated well and appeared to have no issues whatsoever. I did my best to keep things clean (used star-san on everything I touched and used in the process). The only likely question mark is sulfites. I didn't want to spend the funds on an expensive tester, so I did a bit of guessing based on my ph levels and a sulfite calculator, and added a bit more than what was recommended.
    First Trad used DV10 yeast:
    Seemed to clear pretty well after a few months, and all looked/smelled/tasted OK with ABV about 15.5. I racked a week after ferment completed, at 6 weeks, and 6 months - each time adding K-Meta and barely back-sweetened at 6 months (used P-sorb too).
    All seemed well until...
    I cold crashed to bottle, and the must looked like it had particles suspended in it (looked very clear before this). I took a LED flashlight to it from the opposite side and could see nearly transparent, white-ish, cloud that looked like it had 'legs'. I think only bacteria and mold forms that way, correct? Smell didn't seem bad (I don't know what sherry smells like, but this didn't smell 'bad'). I got frustrated and dumped it before thinking of taking a pic or waiting to hear back from anyone here (doh!!!!). I guess I'm looking for confirmation that this was infected. I hate that I tossed it, but at least I'm doing small batches right now.
    Second Trad used K1V yeast:
    Exactly the same as the first Trad. The difference here is this must does not seem to want to clear at all. I haven't tried clearing agents. Looks like it may be infected as well based on what I see, but hard to confirm since it's so cloudy.
    Apparently, I can't the forum doesn't allow any size pics that would allow for any decent detail for me to share here - or I can't figure out how to save the pic in a 500 byte or less size with any detail.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Be Blessed!

It was clear prior to cold crashing? Chill haze? Might try a clarifyier. What can survive 15% alcohol, sulfates, and sorbic acid? It would have to be a pretty robust microorganism.

My Social Networking

Add 4give on Facebook

Thanks edaskew! The first Trad was clear enough to see my hand through the other side before chilling. The second has always been a bit cloudy through the whole process. Only difference as best as I could try, is DV10 in the 1st, and K1V in the 2nd.
    Like you, I'm a bit surprised to see any possible issue, but it's my first few batches, so...