FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looking at my gravity readings, it appears the yeast did not begin active fermentation until somewhere between 24 hours and 72 hours post-pitch. I was sick on the 2nd post-pitch day, so I chose not to mess with the must.

Based on what you are saying, it appears I made my 24 hour addition of Fermaid O too soon. I took it to mean 24 post pitch, where in reality it sounds like what you are saying is 24 hours after the lag period ends.

That is what I do because otherwise you're feeding the bad guys and promoting their health and not your desired yeast strain
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

I just finished listening to your yeast podcast. It sounds like my lag period lasted a little long (not sure why) going off of what you said in that podcast (you felt it should exit lag no later than 48hrs in).

At this point since I already added my 24hr addition early by your methods, do you feel I need to make 1 more addition today even though I already made what I thought was the 24hr, 48hr, and 72hr additions, or just let it go until 1/3 sugar break/7th day post-lag?

Also, at what point during my fermentation should I stop stirring, and at what intensity?

YOu mike consider a higher cell count at pitch. My bare minimum is 2 grams per and I go up from there. At my place, I feel 8 hours is pretty long. I would not add more food than what your original protocol asked for. So again. Stir rigorously for the first 3 days and politely after that

Quote Originally Posted by That1Guy4Ever View Post
    10/30 Added 4.5g Fermaid O and stirred vigorously for a couple minutes

10/31 Was running a fever today and was feeling pretty crappy. So, I decided not to risk messing with the mead.

11/1 Feeling better - wore gloves and mask to be safe. Learned a big lesson the hard way...DON'T STIR VERY ACTIVE FERMENTATION FULL BLAST WITH DEGASSING ROD. Needless to say I had a hell of a mess to clean up in my chest freezer. Added my next addition of Fermaid O and stirred in.
    11/2-11/3 stirred politely

11/4 1/3 sugar break, added last addition of 4.5g Fermaid O

11/5-11/9 Stirred politely

11/10 Down to 0 BRIX. Racked into carboy making sure to stir lees and yeast into suspension to ensure I took it all with it. PH 3.37, so added 3.28g metabulsulfite (50ppm).

11/11 stirred yeast into suspension

Is the PH ok? Should I adjust?

No leave the pH unless you need to do some acid additions to make it taste better. But that is done to taste and not to a numeric value.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12