Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Measuring alcohol-content, which equation?

So I've gotten into making high abv meads. Up until now I've used the calculator here https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/ to calculate the ABV from the gravity change over time. Then I noticed there's also an option for an alternate calculation. The site doesn't really explain why but it mentions that the alternate equation is better at higher ABV's. If I plug in my OG (1.140) and my current gravity (1.022) I get the value of 15,49% for the standard equation and 18,20% for the alternative one, not really a trivial difference.

So which one do I trust? It's a TOSNA-brew (Fermaid O + GoFerm) with Mangrove Jack's M05 Mead Yeast with an alcohol tolerance around 18%

I used http://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/ to calculate the recipe, it seems to use the standard equation.

Any ideas?

2. Default

I've always used the formula that came with the hydrometer; (OG - FG)/.776. With your gravity readings, it would come out to 15.2%. I have no idea which measurement would be more accurate though.

Your first number is correct. There is no way ABV can be any different. A point of gravity can only equate to the same amount of alcohol. regardless of whether you chew 20 points or 2000, it won't change.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    Your first number is correct. There is no way ABV can be any different. A point of gravity can only equate to the same amount of alcohol. regardless of whether you chew 20 points or 2000, it won't change.
    Makes sense. One glucose-molecule = two ethanol-molecules, there's really no arguing about it. I wonder what they were thinking.